User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2018, 11:30:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
292634 Posts in 5693 Topics by 2174 Members
Latest Member: Thunderhawk
  News
If you're having trouble logging in, clear any cookies related to saskmetal and try again!
Pages: [1] 2      Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nocturnal Sun  (Read 17159 times)
Nocturnal Sun
Saskmetal Member

« on: January 24, 2009, 05:48:01 PM »

Hey there, we hail from Swift Current, SK and are currently looking for paid gigs in Regina, Saskatoon or Medacine Hat. We are an all original band and are currently in the studio with Dave Lang, the resident artist from the Saskatchewan Arts Board. Our myspace is http://www.myspace.com/nocturnalsun and you can find us on facebook by searching Nocsun. Most of the material on our myspace is old or vintage but you can see the newer stuff in some of the concert videos. We would love to hear from anyone who is planning shows in the next month or so but must make enough to cover our expenses to show. Our new album wont be ready until spring but we are currently performing material from it and other songs.
Cheers!
Mike.
nocturnal_sun@hotmail.com

Michael Nielsen,
Nocturnl Sun.
Jim
Got nuggs?
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 06:48:12 PM »

Might you consider giggin for felch?
necrolobes
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 07:51:58 PM »

or buttpiss?
Jim
Got nuggs?
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 08:05:58 PM »

WILL FELCH FOR JENKEM!!
Franklin
Lusting to be bathed in the blood of the goat
Saskmetal Member

The Afterbirth of An Oriental Grunge fuck??

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 01:03:07 PM »

what kind of music do you play?

Nocturnal Sun
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 03:41:46 PM »

I guess it would be kind of oldschool metal or progressive...? There are so many damned genres in metal now, I have no idea, lol. I suppose we kind of sound like a mix of Iron Maiden and Megadeth with influences from bands like Slayer to Dream Theater... I dont know, lol, you tell me what kind of metal we are, lol.

Michael Nielsen,
Nocturnl Sun.
Jim
Got nuggs?
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 08:44:36 AM »

LOL no you tell us what kind of music you are LOL you wrote it lol so should be able to describe it LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!

And good luck on the paid gigs without anyone really knowing who you are/never seen you before.  No one is gonna just give you money to play a show cause you want money to play a show.  You must prove yourself - get a fan base - THEN ask for money - or gig for felch.
Franklin
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 11:29:21 AM »

Ya ive been playing gigs in various bands for years now. And i might have played a paying gig once or twice. You should probably be more in it for the sheer joy of playing live.

necrolobes
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 02:08:08 PM »

agreed , you gots to pay your dues before you can start asking for teh $$$$ . try playing for free and eventually you will work your way into getting paid atleast gas money , but dont hope for more than that .
Nocturnal Sun
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 03:03:23 PM »

We have played for free tonnes of times and do have a fanbase but it is somewhat of a local following. We also won the cities 1st band wars and have opened for bands like Retrograde. We would just go play in the Hat but our metal bar burnt down a couple of months ago, thus the hunt. You can also watch us on Shaw10 although I dont know when they broadcast the shows. We can play for pay here but we want to go out of town for some shows. All we care about is covering expences to go play. We have paid our dues, Ive been playing for a long time and have toured before with other bands. Ive been in the buiz for over 20 years so I am no rookie.

Michael Nielsen,
Nocturnl Sun.
Jim
Got nuggs?
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 04:09:34 PM »

Rookie or not it's about status of the band your in and whether you have a draw or not to constitute moola.

If a promoter tossed you on a show here be happy if you got $100 and an opening spot as no one here has seen you guys and probably won't come to see you - but may show up early to check out the opener for another show going on and that's where you'd start your fan base.

If word of mouth were good at that point and a promoter knew people were going to pay to see you guys then you could ask for some coin - til then bubs if you got $100 for a gig here I'd take it with a smile on your face - not being a dick - just stating the facts.
necrolobes
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 06:12:10 PM »

agreed , not to sound like a dink ( but i will Smiley ) , the sask scene is pretty small and i cant say ive heard of ya before .. were you guys a different name before?
Nocturnal Sun
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 01:04:27 AM »

No Ive always used this band name. We are in the Swift Current region... Its kinda a weird little bubble that pretty much stays self contained which is why we are looking to show in other places. We can get $1500 for 2 nights here but we really dont want to play around here much more for the time being... We have done more than our fair share of shows here so its time to look at the road. We are currently recording an album but thought we would break up the monotony of the studio with a few live shows if we can get that worked out in the next month or so.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:14:56 AM by Nocturnal Sun » Logged

Michael Nielsen,
Nocturnl Sun.
necrolobes
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 01:26:30 AM »

750 a night? wow , i wouldnt set your bar higher than gas money anywhere else around here .
versuz
поклоняюсь cатану
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 07:38:34 AM »

whats the name of the venue that pays top dollar for metal bands to play in Swift Current?

Wait a second, do you play cover sets? I smell covers.

Jim
Got nuggs?
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 11:38:49 AM »

whats the name of the venue that pays top dollar for metal bands to play in Swift Current?

Wait a second, do you play cover sets? I smell covers.

Yuppers.  I also smell fart - could be cause I just farted.  If your looking for cover bars check out The Plains, The Pump (country/light rock joint) and that's about all that comes to mind for Regina bars that pay for cover bands.
Nocturnal Sun
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 07:27:48 PM »

No we are all original,... No covers...

Michael Nielsen,
Nocturnl Sun.
Franklin
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 07:43:19 PM »

I suppose the only thing that can really be said then is, if you would to like to play more shows away from this high paying venue in Swift Current you speak of, then you will have to get used to making alot less money(or no money) for alot more travel.

lack_of_sanity
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 08:27:59 PM »

and...whats the name of said bar again?

versuz
поклоняюсь cатану
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 08:55:22 PM »

We can get $1500 for 2 nights here but we really dont want to play around here much more for the time being...

I am still having a fairly hard time reading this and believing there are no covers invloved. Whatever your sins are your sins.

Anyway, caugh up the venue, your asking for shows now all of us are going to compete with you. $1500 or a case of beer..... hmmmm.....

jokes mostly, but ya man if you can bring down people to a show... say via ticket sales... then you can start asking whatever your means of bringing through the door are. It's really that simple. My honest suggestion is talk to zandra, tell her you will sell 100 tickets (and then sell the tickets or die).. pack the busses up with swift current pussy and bring your metal to regina

Bender
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 09:18:37 PM »

750 a night is totally reasonable in swift current, if you're the local band that all the kids love and the promoter doesn't have high expenses.

Outside of that zone, you're thrown to the wolves. If you've toured before, you should know this. NOBODY outside swift current (and maybe the hat?) have heard of you.

The only logical solution, my friends, is to play a 1500 dollar weekend (and count yourselves kings of speedy creek, and lucky to be making that kind of money anywhere in the world) and put THAT money towards outward travel and getting yourself known in other cities.

I expect you to tell me next that you guys put that show pay towards the recordings you're currently doing. Sure, that's all fine and good, but very often records are paid for out of members pockets, from the wages they earn at their day jobs. You're not signed, and if you don't have a saskmusic grant, it pretty much doesn't work any other way. So just play one extra gig, or set a couple hundred bucks aside from one of your top dollar gigs (that's all you'll need to come to regina, find some friends to stay with, and have some drinks).

Now we have a plan of action.

IF you're a good band, you'll only need to do this once or twice here and people will notice and boom you have following. Repeat customers. Then you can safely ask for some travel expense money, as the promoter will know you're worth it.

... that or you can go to the gaslight and play for the door.

Nocturnal Sun
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 10:04:23 PM »

Thanks Builtlowj, thats best advice Ive gotten yet... Actually we were referred here to Zandra from a friend of ours in Regina... Ill talk with the boys and maybe follow that plan of action... We are somewhat working under a grant thought not directly through us... Whereabouts is the Gaslight and whats the seating like in there?

Michael Nielsen,
Nocturnl Sun.
necrolobes
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 10:10:25 PM »

akward post is akward
Bender
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 10:20:19 PM »

akward post is akward

hahaha

the gaslight part was more of a joke, but a lot of bands would do that. it's a way to make a few dollars, maybe, but not to build a fanbase.

Just use the band to fund a band trip to regina to play a gig. I'm glad you found my advice helpful, and despite us on here thinking you're a bit weird, we'll probably all check out your first set in regina with an open mind. If we like ya, we'll pay to see ya. Zandra is cool, and fair, so start with her.

necrolobes
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 10:21:26 PM »

and one of you can stare at a post
Mr. Metalguy

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 12:46:53 PM »

and one of you can stare at a post

You mean, like, the one in the middle of the Gaslight?

Or were you being more devious?

I have heard NocSun, and talked with Mike a bit. They are none too worse, good old school thrash with a modern, polished feel. That is not to say it sounds pretentious or ironic, just that it sounds good.

I figure they should come, as they MIGHT be able to make gas money. If not, it ain't that that far to walk to Swift with gear on your backs. Go militant, busk acoustically on Scarth Street... Anyways, I think yous guys should come out, just dont come with an expectation of being paid like you would in Swift, if at all. That's pretentious, and maybe why this thread seems a little weird to people.

Then again, we are talking abt Harley and Justin, he of the Borg armpiece... And, well, Harley is, well, epic.

Saskmetal is a place of intelligent conversations

Cat.
I'm a kitty cat.
And I dance dance dance
And I dance dance dance.

I comport myself like an old-timey gentleman.
The Prairie Prophet
I'm not a fan of all of it, but a lot of it
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 01:07:33 PM »

And don't forget to let all the metal bands here know where they can make 1500 for 2 nights in swift.  Cause that would be deadly.

When god gives you lemons you FIND A NEW GOD!!!
necrolobes
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 02:24:30 PM »

You mean, like, the one in the middle of the Gaslight?

yes
HxT
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 02:37:57 PM »

I'd play swift for that
I think that'd total more than all of the 50 shows I've played with Chapel Hill and the 10 with Cupcake
Nocturnal Sun
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 03:31:51 PM »

I dont know if that offer is for everyone or just us... I just met with the manager and they asked how much we want and I told them... They thought it was reasonable... The going industry rate is 1500 for 2 nights so thats what I asked for. It kinda makes me sad to hear that bands dont get paid up there like they should.

Michael Nielsen,
Nocturnl Sun.
necrolobes
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 04:46:05 PM »

i think you just get cover band prices and i would imagine that you play a long ass set (3hrs ish), or a couple sets in a night yes? , because most metal shows here you get 25 - 45 min depending on your slot .
The Prairie Prophet
I'm not a fan of all of it, but a lot of it
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 06:20:31 PM »

yeah, that rate applies to a band that can play that length of time, so if you have the material that's cool.  Most bands don't have that much material, which is why generally around here only cover bands get that kind of dough.  Metal bands and most original bands in general don't get gigs at bars usually, with the exception of places like the Distrikt where they support local music.  But even then you're not getting coin like that.  Cover bands play tunes that drunken hordes of mindless sheep like to drink and party to around here, so they play 4 hours of 80's music and get all the coin.

When god gives you lemons you FIND A NEW GOD!!!
Nocturnal Sun
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2009, 07:26:06 AM »

Can someone tell us about the Exchange?

Michael Nielsen,
Nocturnl Sun.
versuz
поклоняюсь cатану
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2009, 06:51:46 PM »

you can rent the exchange.

Can you tell us about venues in swift current?

necrolobes
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2009, 08:00:35 PM »

from the exchange website

2431 8th Avenue
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada S4R 5J7
Phone (306) 780-9494
sces@sasktel.net

The Exchange is a rental faciity, it is not a nightclub. Rent per evening is $300. The SCES works with community groups, promoters and artists themselves to tailor costs to fit proposed events. We lend a hand with promotion and advise clients on project viablity. We supply sound (Martin PA system) and lights and arrange for technical and security support. Our bar staff handles all refreshment sales and our theatre liquor permit allows underage patrons to frequent our facility.

. . .

The SCES Club is now available for rent at a reasonable rate for small concerts. This space comes equipped with a PA system that doesn't require a sound tech making it perfect for small acts both local and on tour. This is the perfect stage for singer/songwriters to cut their teeth and build a following.

Email mdawson@sasktel.net for more information or availability or to book a show. 

Pages: [1] 2      Go Up
Print
Saskmetal.com  |  Music  |  Saskatchewan Metal Bands (Moderators: Mr. Metalguy, saskmetalmod, swamples)  |  Topic: Nocturnal Sun
Jump to: