SiteMap Novembers Doom: The Pale hand departure
  User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 01:18:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
292543 Posts in 5678 Topics by 2173 Members
Latest Member: dpressure
  Upcoming Shows
 photo d942789e-e877-4fa5-868d-15048ef6f06d_zps16c3f71d.jpg
  News
If you're having trouble logging in, clear any cookies related to saskmetal and try again!
Pages: [1]      Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Novembers Doom: The Pale hand departure  (Read 4977 times)
jdwheels
Saskmetal Member

« on: April 17, 2008, 04:32:42 PM »

Novembers Doom - The Pale Hand Departure:
The End Records-2005

Came across this CD completely by accident while browsing in one of my favorite music stores one lazy afternoon. It was one of those type of chance findings that end up making you smile. What I found once purchasing it, was a bonafide Doom classic from start to finish.

The vibe was stark, bleak and totally scary from the start. Vocals that changed between hauntingly clear and eerie to blowtorch grinding grunts... made each and ever note and word struck like the hand of God from this little shiny disk. I normally do not like albums with that nasty word in it...concept, but this concept album works. The guitar parts that are heavy as lead to the point of bludgeoning in it's power, then would free fall into the ethereal acoustic sounds that were goosebump inducing with each note. Every lovingly crafted somber beat helps weave every part of the lyrics haunting story together into a Doom Metal masterpiece that both scares and entertains.

I missed this album when it actually came out in 2005.. for that, I have to kick myself repeatedly really hard.  Novembers Doom is a band that can and will be remembered for this. A somber, ghostly album that is worthy of more than a few listens.

Rating: 87/100
Spyder
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 05:02:58 PM »

*it's The Pale Haunt Departure, actually - and although I thought so too at first, it actually isn't a concept album Wink

But anyway, this is easily one of my top 5 all-time favorite albums. I discovered it a little over 2 years ago and was blown away by it, and Novembers Doom have been one of my favorites ever since. And Paul Kuhr (their singer) wrote a book last year explaining all his lyrics, and if you read it it really gives you an entirely new perspective on the songs, as all of his (current) lyrics are 100% honest and genuine - no made-up fantasy songs, no over-the-top poetic goth lyrics like so many other doom metal bands use, just real, honest, emotional expression. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one here who likes this album and band.
GOLIATH
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 05:21:47 PM »

I stumbled upon this disc early last year( I think??) and have been a fan ever since.  I don't think I've heard a song from them I dislike. I'm not sure why more people haven't picked up on this band, and why they haven't done any major touring, still hoping they come out this way.
  I believe the book your referring to Spyder "The Wayfaring Chronicles", curious where you purchased it?  Was it locally or direct from their site?

"You people voted for Hubert Humphrey, and you killed Jesus." Raoul Duke
Spyder
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 05:36:39 PM »

I actually got The Wayfaring Chronicles as part of the special pre-order package for The Novella Reservoir last year... Yet another reason Novembers Doom rule - their new album, plus the book, a poster, sticker, and signed photo, all for $30.  grin
jdwheels
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 10:51:35 PM »

Oops!! Fucking typo.  To my fellow fan of Novembers Doom... so sorry.

I still think that it is a concept album... the lyrics flow into one another throughout the disk is just too close to be coincidence. I will research that more. 

All what I have found in my research is that it is a concept album.

JD
coffee_love
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 11:14:27 PM »

i love a da novembers doom
GnomeBeard
You can find work and sort your life out anytime. The pub closes in five hours.
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 10:03:53 PM »

can't believe i never stumbled accross this review till now...  i love this band, Paul Kuhr is pretty much amazing...  can't wait until he gets back with Tomer to do the next Subterranean Masquerade piece...  he destroyed on the previous stuff...  JP knows well what i speak of!

Saskatchewan Beard & Moustache Club

https://www.facebook.com/saskbeardclub
Pages: [1]      Go Up
Print
Saskmetal.com  |  Music  |  Reviews (Moderators: IAmGray, Mr. Metalguy, saskmetalmod, swamples)  |  Topic: Novembers Doom: The Pale hand departure
Jump to: