SiteMap Sounds Of the Underground 2007 - Calgary
  User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 01:22:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
292543 Posts in 5678 Topics by 2173 Members
Latest Member: dpressure
  Upcoming Shows
 photo d942789e-e877-4fa5-868d-15048ef6f06d_zps16c3f71d.jpg
  News
If you're having trouble logging in, clear any cookies related to saskmetal and try again!
Pages: [1]      Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sounds Of the Underground 2007 - Calgary  (Read 5932 times)
dcloud
Saskmetal Member

« on: August 07, 2007, 06:13:10 AM »

The organizers decided to skip Saskatoon this year (BASTARDS!). So, I made my way to one of the Albertan destination the tour was heading too which happened to be Calgary. Which is fine, cause it turned out to be a nice little vacation. The show, as it always does, kicked serious ass. So, let's go to the setlists and my favorite performances!

1) Amon Amarth
 Easily the best performance of the night. A lot of expectation and anticipation for this band. The crowd was freaking pumped. The band was freaking pumped. Electricity was flowing in the air!!! So much energy and intensity! Their stage presence is insane. One of the bands I wanted to see and they did not disappoint.
Setlist:
Valhall Awaits Me
Runes To My Memory
Cry Of The Black Birds
Asator
Death In Fire
The Pursuit of Vikings

2) Chimaira
 The other band I really wanted to see. They did not disappoint either. Their performance was tight, they had the energy throughout the entire crowd. It was complete chaos during one song. The lighting was so amazing, all in synch with the music. PHENOMENAL.
Setlist:
Ressurection
Pleasure In Pain
Pure Hatred
No Reason To Live
Needle
Empire
Power Trip

3) Darkest Hour
 Great band, I was very excited to see them, especially after sitting through so much crap bands. They were the first of many of the better bands to play. Excellent show, incredible guitar work.
Setlist
Convalescence
Sound The Surrender
The Sadist Nation
Deliver Us
With A Thousand Words to Say But One

4) Job For A Cowboy
 Solid performance, they came on after Amon Amarth. That's a tough act to follow, but they did it quite nicely.
Setlist
Entombment of a Machine
Knee Deep
Altered From Catechization
Embedded
and a few other ones.

5) Goatwhore
 I was insanely surprised by these guys. One of the better bands near the beginning of the show. Great performance, put all the little emo kids in check for just a bit so the metalheads can have some time in the sun. No setlist for these guys cause I was not familiar with them. But I will be from now on. They played "Alchemy Of The Black Sun Cult", that's all I can tell you.

The band "2 Cents" gets honorable mention. The first band to go on for the day. The lead singer was the drummer, freaking awesome. They busted out a nice rendition of "The King Of The Hill" theme song and a GREAT version of Slayer's "Raining Blood".

I didn't mind the bands from other genres except for The Number Twelve Looks Like You. Ya, that's their name. Screamo band, did not like them at all, and if one screaming singer wasn't enough, they had 2 singers.

Guns don't kill people. Jack Bauer kills people.
Daltron
Saskmetal Member

Stating the obvious, since 1988.

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 12:15:37 PM »

You forgot the other 12 bands.

This fake punk movement is bullshit, but theres money to be maaaade, so lets milk it!
necrolobes
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 12:21:13 PM »

so did everyone else
Ernst
Saskmetal Member

La douche

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »

I dunno some of the other bands went bad, cant remember any names but they were listentoable

build a man a fire and hes warm for a day
light a man on fire and hes warm for the rest of his life
- Edgar frog
Emperor Kefka
Son Of Northern Darkness
Saskmetal Member

I've seen the march of a thousand men...

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 12:08:05 PM »

I thought Shadows Fall were !@#$ing awesome. But then again it seems i'm the only one who likes them. LAWLZ

Look at the shell that is you
Empty
Fragile
Weak
Soon the battle is over
Lost to Apathy
dcloud
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 08:41:43 PM »

Shadows Fall were good, though I only caught half their set cause I went to meet Amon Amarth.
GWAR were good as usual, still the same old show though.

Other than that and my list, the rest were screamo stuff and one hardcore band.

The hardcore band was alright, The Acacia Strain. Same impression that Terror made on me at last year's SOTU. Very very good energy on stage.

Guns don't kill people. Jack Bauer kills people.
Webfoot Witchhat
HEAVY METAL DRINKERS!
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 03:03:57 AM »

I personally thought this years SOTU was a joke.
Two of the three bands I wanted to see played here just a day or so before they played Calgary (AmonAmarth and Goatwhore).
The only other band I would have liked to see would be Job For A Cowboy.

Though I believe the reason they had so many metalcore/scream/hardcore bands this year, was to make up for last years, since '06 SOTU was mainly metal.

Pages: [1]      Go Up
Print
Saskmetal.com  |  Music  |  Reviews (Moderators: IAmGray, Mr. Metalguy, saskmetalmod, swamples)  |  Topic: Sounds Of the Underground 2007 - Calgary
Jump to: