SiteMap R.I.P. Danny Stephenson
  User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 12:21:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
292543 Posts in 5678 Topics by 2173 Members
Latest Member: dpressure
  Upcoming Shows
 photo d942789e-e877-4fa5-868d-15048ef6f06d_zps16c3f71d.jpg
  News
If you're having trouble logging in, clear any cookies related to saskmetal and try again!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6      Go Down
Print
Author Topic: R.I.P. Danny Stephenson  (Read 79395 times)
Meg
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2006, 07:05:19 PM »

I know I've never met Dave, but I do remember Danny from a show Into Eternity played a few years ago here in PA. I didn't know either of them personally, but nevertheless, this is a very sad time for their friends and families. My most sincere condolences go out to all of their loved ones. I know what it's like to lose someone to cancer, and I know what it's like to live with someone who's survived it. Cancer is an absolutely terrible disease and I can only hope that one day, someone will truly find a cure for it.

Rest in Peace, Danny & Dave.

I am retarded
I know right? I am on a roll today. It is as if someone injected me with a good dose of not being able to shut the fuck up.
mark
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2006, 08:11:31 PM »

I remember the first time I met Danny was close to 10 years ago when I was a kid still living in Yorkton. I saw the Radfords first show ever there and about halfway through their set the crowd started to sit down. At the end of one of their songs Danny hit his kick drum a few times and said "Uh oh, did you hear that knocking? Someones at the door! You all better STAND UP and go get the door!" He kept doing that for the rest of the set, it was hilarious.

I love hearing stories like this.  We spent so much time together over the years that I just plain forget some things.  That was our first show ever, I had never been on a stage before, and I had been playing bass for just 2 weeks, so needless to say I was a nervous wreck and don't remember much.

But Danny was always cool onstage, and always had a mic even't if he wasn't singing.  He was the drummer, and I was usually the supposed front man, but I always relied on him to come up with something brilliant to say during a lull in the show.
Crazylilone
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2006, 08:42:49 PM »

I remember this one time, being over at the Stephenson's house with my nephew Dalyn, and niece Acyan. Just sitting there watching Danny and Dalyn drumming on his kit or just letting Dalyn drum away.  Good old Danny, Horns up
kent
Can I play too?
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2006, 02:04:24 AM »

I never knew either of the brothers but it saddens me to see that 2 people who were so loved in the scene have been taken away. My thoughts are with you all.
GnomeBeard
You can find work and sort your life out anytime. The pub closes in five hours.
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2006, 12:09:09 PM »

i feel so lucky to have met Dave and Danny.  I know that i've spent quite a few more times speaking with Dave but from anytime that i spoke with Danny, really it was the same experience.  Whether it was back stage at the exchange or walking through Wal-mart and getting into a good conversation about the new IE album to be released, it was always a good time spent.  I wish i could have got to know both of these brothers a lot better, but i am relieved to know that Danny is no longer in pain and is at peace with his brother.

My condolences to Danny and Dave's family, and all of the other loved one's and friends that had the pleasure of knowing these two great men.  My heart is with all of you.

Saskatchewan Beard & Moustache Club

https://www.facebook.com/saskbeardclub
Chad
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2006, 01:56:51 PM »

I can't believe I won't be seein' you around anymore Dan.  I'll never forget the fact that you refused to wear nothing by shorts, even in -40...you crazy bastard...!!

RIP brother.

By the way, if you run into Eric Carr, tell him I said "Hey".

Don Vito
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2006, 05:37:26 PM »

Could someone please post the obituary? Thanks.
Crazylilone
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2006, 05:58:13 PM »

Mr. Daniel Walter Stephenson
Thursday, December 23, 1971  -  Friday, November 10, 2006

STEPHENSON - Daniel Walter was born on December 23, 1971 in Nipawin, SK and passed away on Friday, November 10, 2006 in Regina, SK. Danny is survived by his parents Ken and Carol; sister Lisa; sister-in-law Jaimie; his nieces Shayla, Emily and Acyan; as well as his grandmothers, aunts, uncles, cousins and many friends. He was predeceased by his brother David Stephenson on September 21, 2006.

A VISITATION for family and friends will be held at Regina Funeral Home, Hwy #1 East, Regina, SK on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. A FUNERAL SERVICE will be held at the Regina Funeral Home on Thursday, November 16, 2006 at 2:00 p.m.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Allan Blair Cancer Centre, 4101 Dewdney Avenue, Regina, SK S4T 7T1 or the Canadian Cancer Society, 1910 McIntyre Street, Regina, SK S4P 2R3. Family and friends are invited to sign a book of condolences through www.regina-memorial.ca. Arrangements are entrusted to Regina Funeral Home (306) 789-8850.
zandra
Administrator

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2006, 06:48:44 PM »

I really haven't been able to write anything before now, I didn't know my heart could ever ache like this. 

I take some comfort in knowing that for all eternity Danny and Dave will be together...probably arranging the biggest show ever!

I love the Stephenson family and my thoughts and prayers are with you always!

Cheers and Fuck!!!

Support the scene...buy a tshirt, buy a cd, BUY A TICKET and attend a show!

ADVANCE TICKETS available at VINTAGE VINYL, MADAME YES, ZEUS and online!
tjae76
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2006, 07:40:23 PM »

Well I can honestly say that the last couple months have been confusing.Two loose dave and danny in any music community is painful.But to loose dave and danny as friends,metal brothers is devistating.What makes me most proud to have been part of the local music seen in Regina is to have had my time with those guys.Playing or watching shows at the utopia cafe,chanelone,the otherside or wherever.Regina has hosted two stand up humans in their little hut.In closing I just want to say some of my favorite memories that help me most are those of dave and danny,I fuckin love ya guys see you again.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Sharee
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2006, 08:19:29 PM »

I thought I'd write some of my thoughts for the family and friends of Danny...

A few weeks ago, I brought a pile of movies over to Danny's.
Sharing a love for Leslie Nielson, and John Ritter films, we finally deceided to watch the Leslie Nielson film, but before the movie began, Danny MADE me wait until wrestling was done!!! I told him that I would never watch Wrestling with anyone but him, and he laughed.

I will miss hearing Danny's voice, seeing his perfect smile, and enjoying his unique personality and his sense of humor. Like my friend Ryan M said to me, " I am honored to have had the respect of these two brothers" I couldn't agree more.

Danny stood on his own and said what he believed. He never expected things or wanted anyone to be anything but truthful and honest. That is the Dan I knew. I always respected this wonderful soul the we are now celebrating. I told Danny not too long ago how I have always loved him, he said " I know Sharee, you tell me that all the time" with a laugh...

I will cherish all my memories of Danny...I wish there was more memories...one time I picked him up from his parents, the snow was blowing and it was -30 weather. Out he came in his shorts as usual,  or having my best new years eve with him! (which he said to my surprise was also his best new years eve as well)  I will miss going out for lunch with him, hugging him each and every time I seen him, and even though he said he never really cared much for dogs, he said he liked my Xena and it was hilarious watching him get mad when he would turn to say hi to her and she would sneak in a quick lick on his cheek from the back seat, we had fun coloring his hair blue and black. I will miss the visits we had.

I miss Danny, it hurts. I prayed for him by his bedside friday, that he would find peace and be safe. It was the hardest prayer I have ever done. The pain of losing him is so hard for everyone, but knowing he was greeted by Dave and is now at peace watching over us and the pain is gone is so very comforting...so are all of our happy memories of Danny. Those will be our comfort in these times.

I will continue to pray for peace, comfort and healing for Ken, Carol, Lisa, the kids, Jaimie, Myrna, the whole Stephenson family and all those who knew both of these great brothers.

Love Sharee and Xena
furry
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2006, 12:32:24 PM »

As mentioned... Danny would come and talk to anyone that he saw at shows.  That is how I met Danny was at shows.  And like it was mentioned I was impressed that he always wore shorts - in fact, I am finding myself still wanting to wear shorts on these days as I think about Dan and all the stuff that has gone on with the family.

I have not had lots of experiences with Danny - but one that sticks out in my mind was when we were unloading/loading for Megadeth.   All their crew had nice winter coats that said "Megadeth" on it.  There was one of their guys that was our size and we talked the whole day about "rolling" this guy so we could have his coat...

if you don't live for something, you'll die for nothing
lawwoods
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2006, 02:43:06 PM »

I've known Danny and Dave for over twenty years.It is so sad to know that they are both gone.I will never get to hear any more story's about touring with bands.I wont be able to talk to Danny about wrestling.if you needed to know any thing about a rock band they would know and even if you didn't want to know they would tell you.growing up with Danny and Dave was never boring.I thought when we grow up that I would be buying Dave's CD'S and I would watch Danny on T.V.( wrestling.)There passion for what they believed in was so strong and they lived out there dreams the way most of us only dream of. 

The one thing I remember most about Danny was his passion for Wrestling if he wasn't watching it on T.V.he was outside in the back yard Wrestling with someone.There would be nights that we would come in from outside just to watch Wrestling.

I am very blessed to be someone that could call Dave and Danny my FRIEND.I WILL NEVER FORGET THEM.

Ken, Carol and Lisa.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Lawrence (Flo)

Cryptopchick
Great Superior Forum Master

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2006, 04:33:02 PM »

Wow, what shocking news to come back to.

It's good to see so many people come here to post their memories of Danny (not usual members I mean).

My sympathies are with each and everyone who knew Danny.

I guess we can all take solace in the fact, that these two men will no doubt throw the biggest show for the rest of us when it is our time.

Again, my condolences....I can't imagine the loved one's grief at this time.

Riding the Road of Excess, Straight to the Land of Sin....
Everything I say is awesome
I need a man to fix it.
Club can't even handle me right now

I've seen Anathema <3
Jaimie
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2006, 08:44:48 PM »

Well it has taken me this long to post, but I figured that it might get easier if I waited.  Trust me it hasn't, so here goes.

Danny was like a brother to me, well he almost was.  If this terrible disease hadn't entered our lives he would be.

After Dave passed away in September Danny was so good to me and so concerned.  He wanted to come over to our place to help me go through Dave's stuff.  I knew that it was going to be just as hard on him as it was on me.  He wanted to spend the nights over here so I didn't have to be alone.  As time went on Danny began not feel well and he never did make it over, so I took all of Dave's stuff to the Stephenson's place (with help from Lisa) and Danny and I sat on the bed and went through every last t-shirt.  We laughed, we cried and we got to know more and more about each other.  That is a memory that I will have of Danny, I will always remember that day, it meant so much to me, knowing that he was willing to do anything to help me.

I miss you Danny, so much, I wish that we had more time to hang out.  I will cherish the memories I have of you always.

I need to thank some very special people so bear with me:

To Ken and Carol:  Thank you so much for raising two wonderful men.  Dave was the love of my life and I would do anything to have him back, he was my everything.  Danny was the brother I never had and the short time we spent together will stay with me always.  Thank you for welcoming me into your family, you are both amazing people, I could not ask for anyone better.  You may not realize I much you mean to me, but without you I would be lost.  I love you both.

To Lisa:  My god, where do I begin.  Lisa you are my rock, I don't know how I would function without you.  You keep me sane, well as much as you can.  We have laughed and cried together.  We have gotten in some interesting situations over the past two months.  I want to thank you for all your help with everything, we definitely work well as a team.  We have become so close and I hope that we remain that way forever.  I love you so much.  You will always be my "sista from another mother".

To My Mom:  Mom I love you so much.  You have done everything in your power to make me happy over the past two months.  I appreciate everything you do for me, everything.  You are an amazing person and I don't think that I tell you that or thank you enough.

And finally:

To all of those who have been there for the Stephenson Family and myself through this difficult time.  You will never know how much your kind words and support have meant to everyone. So thanks, you made life a little more bearable.

R.I.P my boys, I love you and miss you both.

Jaimie

bob endo
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2006, 08:54:11 PM »

When is the funeral ?
HxT
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2006, 09:10:51 PM »

I am sure you have all read the Posts about Danny, he was so ready to go,and went ou the way that he wanted to ..with Family and friends with him.
I keep thinking to myself that now I have nobody to tell me what to do next, when Dave passed I had Dan...now I don't have him. Life isn't fair, the only thing that helps is that Dan and Dave are together and will be forever...Dan said to us that Dave told him that he was waiting for him....well now they can both get out there and go to shows, sell merch, and Dan can play Drums as loud as he wants.
I miss them so much, life will never be the same......

We have spoken to the Funeral Home(same as Davids) and at this point we have booked for thursday at 2:00 and a viewing the night before. We want all the same things for Dan, for things to be a celebration of the person that we was, play the music that he loved, and send him out the way he asked to be.Please call if you can think of anything...a song...a story....a picture....we would love it.789-5638 or 525-1942

Thanks....
Heres the info you need Bob.....
I keep on feeling like theres something more about Danny that I want to say, but I simply can't find the words.....Him and Dave were pillars in the regina scene and two of the greatest guys I've ever met....no words of fond rememberance that I could muster would even reflect the tiniest fraction of how important they were to Regina, to the music scene, to me, and those who knew him
Marlies
veteran \m/etalhead & wannabe Canadian!
Saskmetal Member

treat others like you want to be treated

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2006, 10:49:02 AM »

After presenting it to the family last Monday night, Sandy and I are proud to inform you of the legacy of Dave & Danny Stephenson:

http://www.saskmetal.com/index.php?topic=4340.0

~ websites since 1998 ~ Brainstorm, Into Eternity and much more! ~

wobben.org - Nico & Marlies's homepage

Byron
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2006, 10:51:34 AM »

Just like Evan previously posted... I remember seeing The Radfords at their first show ever in Yorkton. They were still called "Radford" at the time. I remember they were pretty funny to watch because of all the humour Danny brought to the performance. At that time, I must have been about 13-years-old. I didn't know Danny as a personal friend at the time, but I knew who he was, of course, just from seeing his band play.
Once I moved to Regina, I was introduced to Danny. After we met, Danny would always come to our jam spot to watch us jam, hang out, and have a few beer. When we took breaks, we would all sit and talk about music, what artists we loved, and what artists we hated. He invited us over to his house after jamming one evening and we stayed there until the early morning just talking about music and local bands and so on. (same story Evan already told.)
It's hard to believe that when we jam now, in the middle of a song I am never again going to turn my head over to the door and see Danny walk in.

I'd like to offer my sincere condolensces to the family and friends of Danny.

We're gonna miss you Danny, thanks for everything.

-Byron
thecoach
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2006, 01:41:46 PM »

If anyone needs a ride or wants to car pool to the funeral, I've got an empty car going...send me a message if you want to hop in.
wannabe
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2006, 06:31:18 PM »

Danny,

I remember so many things about you. I remember meeting you and your brother about 13 years ago. I remember going to shows with you and crashing at your pad because I was too messed up to go home. I remember you asking to borrow my deodorant because you forgot to put some on. I remember talking about music. I remember talking about our beards.

I remember talking to you on the phone about 3 weeks ago saying we should go for lunch in a few days. I can't forgive myself for not following up on that. I also am regretting not seeing you one last time at the benefit show.

I do remember the last time I saw you and I will remember this forever. You were at our jam spot after some show and I was leaving and for some reason I gave you a hug. I'm  so glad I did that. I'll miss you man. You were always fun to be around and interesting to talk to. I miss your laugh.

It's just so weird now to think of you and remember all these things then to realize you are gone. When I first heard about your passing all I wanted was my acoustic guitar. It's always been a sort of healing thing for me. I started writing something for you man. I hope to finish it soon. I will talk about you when ever I perform it and I will keep your memory alive. You touched my life and I am saddened by your passing.

To all the family members missing their boys I offer my condolences to  you. You had 2 amazing people in your family.

I will miss you man.

BEN

The Prairie Prophet
I'm not a fan of all of it, but a lot of it
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2006, 12:10:45 PM »

From Today's LP, Gerry Krochak's column.  I didn't see it anywhere so thought I would post it.  I apologize if someone already has.

Quote from: Today's LP
'Band of Brothers' won't be forgotten

Gerry Krochak, The Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, November 16, 2006

It was the e-mail I was dreading, but knew was coming. Everyone who called Danny Stephenson a friend was hoping he could hang on just a while longer. But it was time to go.

After enjoying a tremendous evening of family, friendship, some of his favourite bands and an unflappable and incredible feeling of unprecedented love and brother and sisterhood during A Rock'N'Roll Show In Support Of The Stephenson Family at The Distrikt last month, Danny tried even harder to stick around for all those who cared so much. But it was time for sleep.

Just six weeks after Danny's brother, Dave, passed away from complications of the cancer he had been diagnosed with six months earlier, Danny succumbed to pancreatic cancer last Friday.

Those connected to the Regina music scene knew them both as genuine, kind people and huge supporters of live music. Buried side by side on the east side of the Regina Cemetery, they will forever be known as "A Band Of Brothers."

They were the guys you could always count on to never miss a gig. No matter what show at which venue, you were always bound to see one -- usually both. Music and the music community were the centre of both of their lives and neither would apologize for it.

Danny also played drums in The Radfords -- a two-chord punk trio which consistently boasted of its "800 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal." His sense of humour and his smile were absolutely infectious. If you saw Danny walking toward you with that grin on his face, you knew you would be laughing at more than just his most recent facial hair experiment within moments. I think it's fair to say that Danny loved dumb funny, rather than funny funny. Those who knew him know what that means.

So wide ran his music tastes that you were just as likely to hear him listening to rootsy outlaw country as classic and punk rock. Danny loved KISS, Aerosmith, Tesla, Hammerlock, Anti-Seen, Jawbreaker, Screeching Weasel and the late-not-so-great shock rocker G.G. Allin. G.G.'s brother Merle called Danny from New York a day or two before he died and so eloquently offered up these words: "Danny, ya' scumf--k! I'm not gonna say I'm sorry or anything cause I know you're gonna kick cancer's ass!"

Merle didn't know that Danny already had kicked cancer's ass.

No matter what belief system you subscribe to, none of this has really made any sense and no one knows why Danny (33) and Dave (36) had to be taken away, leaving a huge, unwanted void in so many people's lives.

But the human spirit has already proven itself to be a force more powerful than cancer ever could be. Carol, Ken and Lisa Stephenson (Dave and Danny's parents and sister, respectively) had likely always suspected that their sons and brothers had a lot of friends, knew a lot of bands and had made some sort of impact on the people they had known.

But they really had no idea. The family of Danny and Dave Stephenson have been constantly blown away by the show of support they have experienced since being struck by the cruelest coincidence and twist of fate imaginable.

The cards, the letters, the donations and the Web site postings have lessened their pain in ways that are immeasurable. Since Danny's passing, the event that was held at The Distrikt on Oct. 20 holds even more significance. As Carol so courageously stepped up to the microphone and addressed the packed house in gratitude, it must have been abundantly clear how the lives of her children have impacted so many.

The event raised over $6,000, but now the focus will shift on helping others. You see, that great night inspired band-of-brothers.ca -- a Web site under development by sister Lisa and friend Sandy Olson. Every year, from now on, there will be a Band Of Brothers benefit concert which will aid cancer families and remember Danny and Dave.

Cancer can't stop that. The memory of The Band Of Brothers will live on forever.

n Gerry Krochak's column appears Thursdays in What's On. You can reach him by e-mail at gkrochak@leaderpost.canwest.com

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2006

I cannot make today's services, but I send my regards.

When god gives you lemons you FIND A NEW GOD!!!
Marlies
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2006, 01:46:17 PM »

What a wonderful article (only... it's been 7 weeks between Dave and Danny's passing and Dan got to be 34...)! And he mentions the website URL (with some incorrect info but oh well), thanks Gerry!! I'll have to include that article on the website for sure!

Bender
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2006, 03:14:05 PM »

I really thought I was gonna make it to regina for this, but it just wasn't possible... I send my regards, as well.

That was a great article too.

mark
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2006, 09:51:35 PM »

I had wrote up a little piece that I was going to read at the funeral today, but I decided to just "wing it" because that's what the Radfords were always about when it came to stage banter.  Dan was emphatic about never using the same jokes and never planning what we were going to say; it had to come out natural.

Anyways, I still want to share what I had wrote.  It was meant to be brief, just some thoughts, so here it is:

Dan is the only guy I know that wears shorts year round.  Heís also the only guy I know that looks good in shorts and duct-taped cowboy boots.

Dan is the only guy I know that will eat cat food and much, much worse on a dare, yet he wonít eat anything that contains eggs.

Dan is the only guy I know that organizes his own birthday parties.

Dan is the only guy I know that likes the band Tesla.

Dan is the only guy I know that walks around clubs in his socks before playing a show.  He said it makes him comfortable and relaxed.  I donít think we played a single club where I felt comfortable walking around in my shoes, let alone my socks.

Dan is the only guy I know that has dropped his shorts while performing a karaoke version of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Dan is the only guy I know that has pictures of both GG Allin and Angela Lansbury in his room, and NOT in an ironic sort of way.

Dan is the only guy I know that is happy to have nothing more than his family and friends around him, wrestling on TV, and surrounded by rock n roll.  Nothing else mattered.

Dan is the only guy I know that is the drummer, the heart and the soul of the Best Band in Regina.
Lisa
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2006, 12:10:58 PM »

I have no idea what to write here.....but I feel I need to. I guess because there are no words to really capture how today feels, this is the first day that I have had to get up and have not had a task to do, and I wish that I did. I wish that I was getting Dan some pudding or seeing if he needed his feet rubbed. I wish that Dave was calling and asking what time supper was on sunday. I wish so many things, I realize that no matter how hard I wish for those things they are never going to happen again. My new reality is going out to the cemetery and visiting with them there....amazing how things change so quickly.
I don't really know how to thank all of the people that have been so great, not just in the last week but since Dave passed and Dan got sick. Marlin, Mark, Lowell, Ryan, Tim & Ron you guys have done so much for us. Your stories and you being here has meant the world to us, your lives have been forever changed just as ours have. Dan would have been so proud that you were the 6 that carried him.
Sandi and Marlies, you guys have started a Legacy that people could only dream of. I know that they will be remembered because you two have started something that we could never have done. We will be forever thankful.
Rob, the song is amazing, I am gonna take it and blast it for them. Derek, all of the pictures that have make us smile are thanks to you....you rock.
Jerry, your words make people aware of what wonderful people they were. All of the people that have posted on Saskmetal, and all of the other places you give us something to get up for, sound weird but seeing a new post is like Christmas!!! Can't wait to see them, and read them. Keep them coming, the funnier the better.
thanks, Lisa..........
Bower
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2006, 01:53:54 PM »

yesterday was incredibly hard. So many memories flooding back and whatnot. What if's etc.

I met danny MANY years ago. Like so many have said before I'd see him at every show. We'd see each other so much that me (and same exact thing with Dave) and him would always strike up endless conversations about our favourite bands (particularily ANTiSEEN and Kiss would come up). Over the years he'd always ask me when I was going to get a band together and then it always turned into when him and I were going to get a band together.

The last year or 2 (mostly over last xmas) we would periodically jam. It never got to be anything serious but it was good to just hang out and noodle away while he just bashed away with his 2x4 sized drumsticks (if you knew danny, he probably on more than one occasion showed off to you the fact that he used the hugest drum sticks you've ever seen).

The first time we jammed it just wasn't clicking. I'd play something really sabbathy and he'd go straight ahead Ramones style. I'd do like a faster high on fire type riff and he'd play a Radfords tune to it. I stopped a couple times and I'd say something like "Can you play more along like this or that?"
He turned to me and had that giant danny grin we're all so familiar with and said "you know why I've jammed with Mark for as long as I have? It's because I don't know a fucking thing about the guitar so I've never told him how to play his riffs. I just KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT". I knew what he was trying to say...
We both started howling and I knew then why we were there. For the fun of it and goddamn it was fun.
I always kind of looked forward to finishing though because afterwards he'd be beaming ear to ear as any 
collector does when they get to show off their collection to other music lovers. We'd watch old ANTiSEEN shows and laugh at how gross the GG dvd's I had were. Fuck I miss that.

Bower
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2006, 01:54:39 PM »

And that fucking bell! Who could forget that fucking thing? Many a night was spent puking or passed out from keeping up to that thing at the goddamn Radfords shows. I miss that awful thing. If you were never an attendee at a radfords show Danny would always play a drinking game (or maybe it was just me? haha) where everytime he'd hit the bell you'd have to drink. We should've had one at the gaslight last night.
Chester
Former Addict
Saskmetal Member

Decapitation-The #1 cure for acne....

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2006, 02:51:35 PM »

I had the pleasure of jamming with Danny (and Endo) once and between the booze, no cymbals and Tim's strange pedalboard we managed to (almost) get through A Lesson in Violence by Exodus (with Petro singing). Then followed a loong extended jam which went nowhere and everywhere. Then Danny and I had a conversation upstairs which more or less consisted of one of us mumbling to the other one incoherently between nodding off while we watched Petro airdrum to Obituary. We saw each other here and there after that but never did get around to playing again together (as Bower can attest to) .. I can't say I knew either of those Stephenson fellers too well but for obvious reasons feel like I should have. Being the same age as Danny it makes me think pretty hard about priorities and potentials. I wish there was something I could say to lessen the pain for those close to them. "This too Shall Pass" is about the only line that makes any sense.

"If you think you're too small to have an impact,
try going to bed with a mosquito in the room."
~ Annita Koddick ~
Lord of all Fire
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2006, 03:13:46 PM »

Ever since I heard the news I was trying to think of some memories, which is why I haven't posted anything already.  But there really wasn't much exept for the first time I met him which was at the old X-Ray where Sean Campbell introduced me to him.  By that time I had alreay heard alot about the one they called Heavy D.
   However, after hearing a bunch of other people's stories it brought back a bunch of mine that I had totaly forgot about.  Like when I was at the Plaines for kareokee, it was a Sunday and there was barely anyone in the bar.  Danny got up for the last song of the night and butchard (really goodly) Alice Cooper's 'I Love The Dead', in which he changed some of the lyrics to 'I love Mike Zimmer' and 'I Love Scott Tipple', who I was their with. 
    Also there was the times where he'd flash us at The State's dollar draft nights.
    Whenever we'd see eachother we'd always stop to talk.  Even if it was just small talk sometimes. 

I've always had ambitions to move from Regina to advance in my career in other cities and to expereince more that is outside of this province.  But, there two funerals have really made me thing about what I'd be leaving behind, and missing out on.   That being the community itself and all the people I know and call freinds.  Which doesn't make Regina a bad place to make home base.  Hey, that rhymes, how gay.     
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 03:15:53 PM by Lord of all Fire » Logged
Master0vDisharmony
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2006, 05:43:12 PM »

For a guy that pretty much grew up in this metal scene, danny was one of the first faces I would start to recognize at shows since he was at all the ones i was usually at. I had no idea who he was, what he did, ect, but i always knew the face.

Later as I've gotten to know people more, I finally met him at a few shows, and we would have a conversation every now and then.

He was always kind to me and I've always respected him.

And I always will.
Postie
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2006, 11:01:36 AM »

I just want to send out my sincere condolences to the Stephenson Family.  I cannot imagine the pain of losing your boys like this.  Take solace in the fact that they are together and doing just fine.  I wish that I could have made it to the service.  I know we, the Postie's , were represented there, as Danny was a  friend to many of us.  I have missed seeing Danny's smiling face everyday these past couple of months.  I will miss seeing him saunter,  across Sask Drive at 6 in the morning, 40 below and in shorts and in no hurry!!  He was always ready with a story, or an opinion and sat and visited with many of us on many occasions. Once after saying "Hey Danny how you doin?"  He said "oh pretty good , got hit by a bus the other day...!"  Just sort of matter of factly...I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  So even though I did not see Danny outside of work, he was presence in my life and I will miss him.  We shared music as a passion, albeit different tastes but a passion nontheless.  Rock on Danny Boy!!
Don Vito
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2006, 01:07:46 PM »

I have a good Dan story. I used to co-host a radio show on community radio and we had Dan on as a guest one night. We bugged him every once in awhile that he should come on the show and one night he took us up on the offer. He got dropped of at my friends house with some beer and his records and cd s he chose to play. He was with a friend of his from out of town. Alot of times when Dan was around we would talk about starting a heel group in High Impact wrestling and taking over like the NWO did. He was gonna be a masked wrestler. Anyways on the show I reviled his wrestling name. Delicious D. He just kinda gave me the famous Dan scowl like why would you say that on the radio. It was the funnest show we did. We let Dan pick most of the music and we talked alot about wrestling on the radio. His friend passed out on the couch as soon as we got there. He was a diabetic. After the show Dan was concerned about his sugar levels and told us he was a diabetic and he need some sugar so we went to the store. This shows what kind of a person he was. He was half drunk and doing the show but still worried about his friend at the same time.

Other story about Dan that I never got to tell him but he would have laughed. He knew my dad but never knew that he knew him. My dad worked at the post office and him and Dan would always talk. I found out when the Band of Brothers article was in the Leader Post and my dad asked me if I knew him.
Marlies
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2006, 10:17:09 AM »

I wish I had a lot of stories.. As Nico and I only visited Regina two times and way too short, we couldn't hang out with Dan (and Dave) as much as we wanted to in the past few years. But I still want to put down my story of how I got to know and love Danny (and Dave through him).

Esp. with Dan (with Dave I'd eventually have more online contact than with Danny) I was always looking forward to us emigrating to Canada and settling in Regina one day (might happen next year), because then we'd finally have a chance to hang out together a lot. Even though I never take things for granted, not in a million years I would've thought that these guys wouldn't be around anymore by then.

In early 2002 we became fans of Into Eternity and got to know Tim. That turned into a good friendship and I got to know some of his friends and their friends etc, plus a lot of folks here on saskmetal since Brent started this. I knew of Danny and after a while I saw the first picture... he was posing with my buddy Mark (not Radford-Mark but Tim/Dave's ex roommate) and he was uhm flashing something LOL! It was hilarious, I'm not sure if it's something I can post here.. I should still have it somewhere;) Shortly after I saw some pics with his sunglasses-look. Now you have to know that I like big guys and I've always adored the legendary drummer Gene Hoglan (huge Mexican/native dude). Back in the day he used to wear these sunglasses a lot on pics, so when I saw Danny like that, I immediately loved his looks and called him mini-Hoglan (yes compared to Hoglan Dan was still mini!) Wink I would always hear what a cool guy Danny was, so I got really curious to meet him.

We first visited Tim in September 2004 and we finally had a chance to meet Danny in person. We hung out several times and once when we dropped him off he insisted that we'd come in to see Marlin's "museum" and he showed me a signed Heart poster in the basement. He went in his room and disappeared for a while. I was standing there with the cat on my arm, thinking, what the hell is he doing behind that curtain?! After a few minutes he came back with some Radfords stickers and a button, because he wanted to give me something because we had given him a beercup from a metal festival and some liquorice (which we brought for a whole bunch of people). The button has been on my jeans jacket ever since, accompanied by an Evergrey one (weirdest combination ever). At shows I'd have people come over and ask, the Radfords... mmmm I don't think I've heard of them. I'd just say, nooo probably not... Anyway with his kindness, sense of humor and ability to talk about just anything, his knowledge of music, and how he truly was a person on his own as previously stated - needless to say I loved Danny even a thousand times better in real life. That old zipped up hoody with holes in them, his beard, of course that classic combination of those shorts and cowboy boots! He once told me that as long as his nose was warm, he was warm. When I'm cold being outside, I always have to think of that hehe. Allright, so then I officially had a crush on Danny  grin My friends there laughed out loud, they probably thought I was kidding Wink (Nico knows me better of course, but he has nothing to worry about and he knows that).

We sort of kept in touch over the occasional email or phonecall and through friends. One day he mailed me to let me know that the postoffice people had put a new flag up on the building and that he had asked to get the old one. "Hey don't throw it away, I know a few guys who'd be really happy with that flag" he had said. Of course he was too lazy to actually mail it over, but when Marlin came to Holland in August 2005 and visited us, he brought the damn thing, along with some pins of the Canadian flag Smiley No crisp clean new flag from the tourist shop could ever be more beautiful than that somewhat dirty and damaged one from the postoffice he obtained for us.

This year we'd talk to both Dave and Danny about being excited to seeing each other again soon. Dave seemed to be getting better, and then we learned about Dan's pancreatic cancer, I was devastated. But he told us to stay positive as he was gonna beat it. But then Dave passed so suddenly only weeks before we'd fly to Canada again and Dan got sicker, the prognoses weren't good and I couldn't wait to get back to Regina. We were too late for Dave, but nevertheless grateful we were just in time to spend some time with Danny on several days, to be there for the benefit and to meet his amazing family. Danny told his mom that I liked the pillows on their couch that say "people who don't like cats must've been rats in an earlier life" and the next visit Carol gave me one! It's on our couch for all to see now:) She also told us several times how welcome we'd be there when we move there and how they'd be there for us. She moved me to tears with that, are they ever amazing or what?! So yeah, we certainly are very grateful for all that. Yet at the same time it's still so unreal that we'd be moving to a Dave and Danny-less Regina.

I thought I had plenty of experiences in dealing with mourning, but this seems much harder than anything before. Yet then I think of all the people (even besides the family) who really did spend a lot of time with him, Marlin, Lowell and Mark, his best friends... and I know it must be so much worse for you guys. I wish I could hug you all right now... so consider yourself hugged!

mark
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2006, 10:33:42 AM »

I just want to send out my sincere condolences to the Stephenson Family.  I cannot imagine the pain of losing your boys like this.  Take solace in the fact that they are together and doing just fine.  I wish that I could have made it to the service.  I know we, the Postie's , were represented there, as Danny was a  friend to many of us.  I have missed seeing Danny's smiling face everyday these past couple of months.  I will miss seeing him saunter,  across Sask Drive at 6 in the morning, 40 below and in shorts and in no hurry!!  He was always ready with a story, or an opinion and sat and visited with many of us on many occasions. Once after saying "Hey Danny how you doin?"  He said "oh pretty good , got hit by a bus the other day...!"  Just sort of matter of factly...I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  So even though I did not see Danny outside of work, he was presence in my life and I will miss him.  We shared music as a passion, albeit different tastes but a passion nontheless.  Rock on Danny Boy!!

I want to respond to every post, but that would just sound lame.  However, I do know that Danny was truly honoured to be accepted by the "posties."  I remember the first time he was invited to a "postie" party, he acted as if he had been invited to dinner with the Queen of England. 

Actually, he probably couldn't have cared less about the Queen, but you get my point.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6      Go Up
Print
Saskmetal.com  |  Music  |  Metal Chat (Moderators: Cryptopchick, Mr. Metalguy, saskmetalmod, swamples)  |  Topic: R.I.P. Danny Stephenson
Jump to: