SiteMap R.I.P. Danny Stephenson
  User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 11:09:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
292543 Posts in 5678 Topics by 2173 Members
Latest Member: dpressure
  Upcoming Shows
 photo d942789e-e877-4fa5-868d-15048ef6f06d_zps16c3f71d.jpg
  News
If you're having trouble logging in, clear any cookies related to saskmetal and try again!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6      Go Down
Print
Author Topic: R.I.P. Danny Stephenson  (Read 79361 times)
Marlies
veteran \m/etalhead & wannabe Canadian!
Saskmetal Member

treat others like you want to be treated

« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2008, 03:43:11 AM »

It's the plan and since there were two shows last October, I'm confident it will be annual, at least Smiley

~ websites since 1998 ~ Brainstorm, Into Eternity and much more! ~

wobben.org - Nico & Marlies's homepage

Lisa
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2008, 09:00:26 PM »

As the sister of Danny and Dave and the President of Band Of Brothers the answer is YES 100% we will be doing shows every year.... Last year was our first intro to all of the fundraising stuff...we are all newbies!! We had great turnout for the shows and will do EVERYTHING in our power to make this year just as great as the last and even better. We have some great people that our on our board of directors and we are excited for Marlies and Nico to get here so that hopefully they will come on board with us as well!!!
Dan was never the Poor Me type and really only told those that he needed to about his illness, with Dave being sick at the same time I think that Dan tried so hard to downplay things so that Mom didn't have to stress as much...NOT THAT IT WORKED!!!..... at the end he did not want people to see him, he had a select group that came...and that were allowed to come....he did not wanna make it harder on himself either, I guess that is one thing that people forget, When you are sick you are just sick...you still have all the feelings and worry....when people came and saw him he made it light, giving Marlin the finger....telling Tim to F-off!!! ALL IN FUN !! He did not want anyone to be upset...cuz then it upset him. He was the most amazingly strong person that I have ever known, The more I type the more I miss him tonight....

So if you did not get a chance to tell him all the things that you wanted to just remember that he is somewhere at this very moment banging the hell out of a drum kit....with pants on I hope.....and Dave is happily selling merch, they are were they were taken to....wherever that is..together.
Lisa
HxT
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2008, 02:17:35 AM »

ok, come on, seariously
there is no way he is wearing pants
Lisa
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2008, 12:40:58 PM »

Ok, Ok, But A sister can dream can she not!!!!!!!
LOL!!!!!
Marlies
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2008, 05:04:22 AM »

We have some great people that our on our board of directors and we are excited for Marlies and Nico to get here so that hopefully they will come on board with us as well!!!

we'll be honored to!!!  cool

RNRPUMPKHIN!
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2008, 02:15:22 AM »

I've looked up to The King through the past 15 plus years.  I would probably not have the interest in this genre to follow this website if not for him (at least not to this extent).  Danny, and the Stephenson's gave me a place to crash when I was a teenager, and I got into going to the crusty punk shows that Danny liked to frequent back in the mid-90's.  We went to shows in Saskatoon when I lived there.  He got me into Nashville Pussy, and The Kittens, etc.  One night he showed up at my place in S'toon drinking Calgary beer, after he'd been straight edge for the past ten years.  We got inebriated on Broadway Avenue, and he did his puke on command trick that night, which always made me smile?!!?

One night in Nipawin we got some old shitty refrigerator boxes from the back alley, behind a furniture store, cut some holes into them for sight, and with about 7 other friends, stomped around town all night with these boxes covering us completely.  The cops drove by real slow and I guess didn't want to ask.

I remember Danny and I almost getting jumped at a vegan house party cause he ordered a pizza.  I had to talk these people outta kickin our asses cause Danny was drunk and non-apologetic (I was on shrooms, and in no mood for conflict.  The shrooms pissed him off to no end)

And I remember Danny antargonise a bunch of metal nerds at a party by telling them that Dio was the only Sabbath singer.  I didn't believe him at the time, but I still backed him up.  I know now.

There's so many more stories.  If Regina misses Danny, and Dave.  Nipawin has never been the same.

RNRPUMPKHIN!
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2008, 03:18:59 AM »

I have a good Dan story. I used to co-host a radio show on community radio and we had Dan on as a guest one night. We bugged him every once in awhile that he should come on the show and one night he took us up on the offer. He got dropped of at my friends house with some beer and his records and cd s he chose to play. He was with a friend of his from out of town. Alot of times when Dan was around we would talk about starting a heel group in High Impact wrestling and taking over like the NWO did. He was gonna be a masked wrestler. Anyways on the show I reviled his wrestling name. Delicious D. He just kinda gave me the famous Dan scowl like why would you say that on the radio. It was the funnest show we did. We let Dan pick most of the music and we talked alot about wrestling on the radio. His friend passed out on the couch as soon as we got there. He was a diabetic. After the show Dan was concerned about his sugar levels and told us he was a diabetic and he need some sugar so we went to the store. This shows what kind of a person he was. He was half drunk and doing the show but still worried about his friend at the same time.

Other story about Dan that I never got to tell him but he would have laughed. He knew my dad but never knew that he knew him. My dad worked at the post office and him and Dan would always talk. I found out when the Band of Brothers article was in the Leader Post and my dad asked me if I knew him.
The diabetic was me.  I completely forgot about that.  We were drinking at the Plains that night, and showed up at the community radio station drunk off our asses.  I was pretty sick that night though (my own damn fault).  I can't remember why I was in Regina that night.  That must have been about 7-8 years ago. 
Lisa
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2008, 11:22:38 AM »

Oh Karl....How you make me laugh...
Thanks so much....
mark
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #148 on: April 15, 2008, 02:57:02 PM »

Yes, good stuff Karl!  Danny told me several times about walking around Nipawin in the refrigerator boxes.

The Radfords had a very fun weekend staying with Karl in Nipawin back in April 99.  When we pulled into town, we went looking for Karl at the local bar where he was a chef at the time.  Danny and I walked into the place on a busy Friday night... the jukebox literally stopped playing, and everyone in the joint stopped talking to see who came in the door... finally, some mean looking old dude broke the silence and says, "look at these 2 assholes that just walked in!!!"  I found this hilarious for a number of reasons (we probably were dressed like "assholes"), but also because Danny had been carrying on for weeks before about how this trip was going to be his triumphant return to Nipawin (his home town) with his new punk rock band playing a big show at the curling rink... we certainly received quite the welcome and the weekend was off to a great start.

The whole weekend went on like this.  Danny showed his "ugly brain" at several crazy parties, we hung out listening to old records at Karl's during the daytime, our van got searched by cops, the crowd wasn't into our set too much, so Danny dropped his pants for most of it, and then we finished the weekend with a backyard fire at Karl's with the Radissons... the next thing you know his neighbours are shooting off fireworks and doing all sorts of crazy shit in their backyard, which made me nervous because we already got searched by the cops... but Karl told us not to worry because his neighbour was in fact the Fire Chief!  Only in Nipawin!!!

So many great memories... I won't even tell you about the time we stayed with Karl when he lived in Saskatoon.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 03:05:23 PM by mark » Logged
Lisa
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #149 on: April 15, 2008, 07:32:08 PM »

Dare I ask what "ugly brain" is?Huh??
BlowTorch
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2008, 07:37:02 PM »

I remember Danny and I almost getting jumped at a vegan house party cause he ordered a pizza. 

Thats so hilarious!! Good Ol Danny!

We Spit on those who choose to pose...
...We Thrash with all the rest!
mark
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2008, 12:16:30 PM »

I'm not sure I can describe an "ugly brain" with words... it is certainly obscene, but also quite funny.    I'm guessing Danny came up with it on his own, as I have never seen or heard of it anywhere else.

RNRPUMPKHIN!
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #152 on: April 23, 2008, 03:43:24 AM »

Well, Mark.  I think I was shooting off the fireworks in the backyard, cause the fire department guy was bragging about how they had the better backyard fire hazard (and it wouldn't be "punk rock" to lose a fire hazard contest)  Do you remember when the narc's showed up from P.A. to find out who was selling drugs in the parking lot, and almost started a riot!  Crusty punks rule!

Oh, yeah.  I don't wanna be shittin on the Nipawin fire department.  They did an excellent job here last week, including my drunken neighbor.
RNRPUMPKHIN!
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2008, 03:53:23 AM »

Hey, I wanna hear the story about when Y'all stayed at my place in Saskatoon!?
mark
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #154 on: April 23, 2008, 04:30:21 PM »

I don't want to tell the Saskatoon story, it is rather embarassing for one of the Radfords (not me or Danny).  The end result was one of the Radfords wearing Danny's shorts for a couple hours while he washed his jeans at the shared laundry room in the apartment building.
RNRPUMPKHIN!
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2008, 11:22:13 PM »

I kinda remember that, but I won't say what I remember.  I  don't think I was around much that day.  Must have been working.
Lolemite
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #156 on: July 04, 2008, 12:28:23 AM »

I don't want to tell the Saskatoon story, it is rather embarassing for one of the Radfords (not me or Danny).  The end result was one of the Radfords wearing Danny's shorts for a couple hours while he washed his jeans at the shared laundry room in the apartment building.

It was me.  I don't remeber a lot from that night but I do remember everything that happened AFTER I pissed myself. 
Lisa
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #157 on: July 04, 2008, 09:44:44 PM »

LOL...
NewWorldSamurai
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #158 on: July 12, 2008, 10:34:36 PM »

i just found an old roll of film that i havent developed  and took it in last week, and the first pic is of Heavy and me holding each other up at what appears to be the gaslight saloon.. dont remember what band... dont matter. im still blown away everytime i read these two threads to see how fuckin amazing they are.. Dave and Danny set the bar for RIGHTOUS MOTHER FUCKERS

Now that i realize, how its all gone wrong... got to find some therapy, cause screaming takes too long.
mark
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2008, 12:21:47 PM »

Here's a laugh out loud memory that came to me over the last month:

Radfords on tour in Aug 99.  We're in Calgary, killing time one afternoon, eating in a mall food court.  Danny always carried around this massive wallet full of stuff, even his keys were attached to it.  He finishes up eating, dumps his food tray off at the garbage, and heads to the washroom to do his business… only he left his wallet on the table.  The rest of the band finishes their food, and also dumps their trays off.  I can’t remember who grabbed it, I’m thinking it was me, maybe Kevin, but one of us stashed Danny’s wallet in our pocket.  Danny comes strutting out of the can, reaches for his wallet (he liked to twirl his keys)… and realizes he doesn’t have it.  He runs over to our table and sees that it is cleaned off.  We all shrug and act clueless when he asks if we’ve seen it.  Over at the garbage, a cleaning lady is about to change out the garbage, so Danny runs over to her, and explains that he accidentally threw his wallet in the garbage.  Him and the lady start digging through the garbage, desperately searching for his wallet… while we all look on trying to hold in our laughter.  This carries on for some time, until we can’t stand to watch them digging through filth any longer, and we return the wallet to Danny.  I distinctly remember Danny giving me a very good punch in the arm (and I believe he also called me “FAG!”).  Danny really wasn’t that upset, I think he realized it was a pretty good joke to pull, but the cleaning lady was none too amused.

Earlier on that tour, in Lethbridge, we had stayed up drinking at this guy’s place (I’m drawing a blank on his name, but of course it was a friend of Danny’s).  Danny fell asleep before the rest of us, and he went out to the van to sleep for the night.  A while later, we got hungry, so a drive to 7-11 was in order.  Danny had these “monopoly board game” boxer shorts, and he had them hanging up inside the van, I suppose to air them out while he slept (it was friggin hot, I remember doing most of the driving stripped down to my underwear).  He was in a deep sleep and didn’t wake up when we first jumped into the van, so I hung the monopoly boxers from the radio antennae like a flag (I figured they would get better air outside of the van), and off we went to 7-11.  Danny eventually woke up during the drive… his disposition was similar to a grizzly bear being woke up in the middle of winter hibernation.  We arrived at 7-11, and Danny finally noticed his boxers hanging from the antennae… this set him off.  He chased me into 7-11, where they had a huge display of Old Dutch potato chip boxes, and he knocks me into them, sending chip boxes flying.  We must have looked like 2 bulls in a china shop, I can only imagine what the clerk was thinking.  He loved those stupid boxers and was quite concerned that they could have fallen off the antennae while driving.  As usual, no one was all that mad, it was just really funny.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 12:24:40 PM by mark » Logged
Marlies
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2008, 05:08:56 PM »

Oh man, that sure got me laughing!! I was gonna post the usual miss-ya-still stuff today, but don't we all and your anecdotes are much much better to remember Dan by (esp since I unfortunately have so little of my own...)!

Lisa
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2008, 08:27:53 PM »

Mark thank you for the much needed laugh....WE will NEVER get tired of them.....

Lisa
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2008, 08:28:46 PM »

MISS YOU DAN.....LOVE YOU.....
Mike Brown, yo!
Been safarian since before you were born
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2008, 10:01:17 PM »

I have started writing something in this box three times now and every time I just stop because I don't think the words will do the man justice. But I guess here goes nothing.

I have never formally met Danny, but I remember the first time I saw the dude so clearly. I was 11 and at my first show. Some dude was telling us to put tape on our noses for some reason. Being 11 year old kids and intimidated like whoah, we would have done anything the dude told us to, so we did. Later in the bathroom Danny comes in with a lot of tape on his, I mean a lot. He proceeded to tell Tommy and I that he was cooler than us because he had more tape on his nose. Then a dude in the toilet stall at the Riddell said that we were just as cool as Danny because although he had more tape, we did it first. This other dude than kicked open the door of the toilet stall and jumped out. This was when a hilarious pretend Kung Fu fight broke out. All I remember was thinking Danny was the coolest guy ever. Probably in part because he was one of the first dudes to ever actually talk to us at my first show and being so young, it was fairly intimidating to be there. He made it just a little less awkward for us.

I often ran into him at Infernal Racket back when it was behind the old Tiki Room and he would always tell me to come out to shows. I knew he just wanted to see a lot of people come out to shows and support the scene, but being like 12 at this time, I thought it was so great that the dude basically was encouraging me to keep going to shows, when a lot of other older dudes were giving us shit for being so young.

Then when I was 12 or 13, I saw my first Radfords show. I thought they were all the greatest band ever. So did all my friends. An old friend of mine, David even had a Radfords unofficial fan site.How many local bands can say they had a 12/13 year old making a whole web site dedicated to them? These dudes gave us something to look forward to whenever they had a show coming up and when I was that age, I didn't have much in life to look forward to aside from that.

I am almost in tears as I write this(Which I know is REALLY stupid!) But, Danny just had such a huge impact on where I am at right now in my life and I bet he didn't ever even know who I was. If I didn't have the Regina Punk/Hardcore/Metal/Any other "loud" genre of music community in this city, I am sure I would probably just be a junkie or something. The things that Danny got me really stoked on kept an impressionable kid who was never good at sports, who never really felt like he had anywhere to really "belong" in a safe place where he could feel safe and as though he was with people who would accept me for who he is.

I'm almost embarrassed to post this, because I feel it's so corny, but I really want anyone who was close to the man to be aware of how he personally affected my life, without every even really talking to me.

RIP Danny

I just wanted to bump this story back up as a testament to how important this dude was to at least a couple kids he'd never met.

Yo!
Marlies
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #164 on: December 23, 2008, 02:14:27 PM »

well Danny it's your birthday again.... we'll raise a glass to you at turkey dinner at Tim and Cort's tonight! And Lisa, Carol, Ken.. you're in our thoughts as always.

Lisa
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #165 on: December 23, 2008, 06:16:36 PM »

Dan...love you...miss you.....wish I would have told u that more....
Joybuzzard
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »

I met "Heavy D" at the "Without Consent" benefit show in the early 90s, his venom patch with the baphomet made me like him instantly because I was still stuck in my "satanic" phase. I'm not a very social person, way more books than friends, and I was in the habit of going to shows, sitting alone and not talking to anyone. He kind of broke me of that habit for awhile. I was a regular at the Utopia shows and then when it got turned into a sports lounge I loaned my small p.a. for the basement shows at 1322 King (in exchange for being allowed to rant on the mic occasionally)I also used to talk to Danny on a regular basis downtown. He was like an unwitting therapist. He made me look at things differently, made me want to be less hostile, less judgemental. He'd listen patiently to me rant for an hour or so and then he'd take less than a minute to make one point that tore it all down and brought me back to reality. He had the rare ability to make me feel stupid, made me realize I was an arrogant asshole, and I loved him for it. Then we got in a stupid argument in about 2002 and never talked again. It hurts.
RNRPUMPKHIN!
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #167 on: November 10, 2009, 01:23:29 AM »

I'm sure gonna throw back a couple Calgarys today.  It's pretty fitting that we'll go see Kiss.  And you can put down the band all you want for the Aceless show.

We remember you, and miss you here in Nipawin, bud!
mark
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #168 on: November 10, 2009, 07:43:08 AM »

And you can put down the band all you want for the Aceless show.

I always loved to pick Dan's brain for his opinion on such important matters.  I'm not sure he would take to an Ace-imposter, but he was never one to miss a big show.

I imagine that we would have spent the evening at our place, playing the classic Kiss LPs (Dan, me and my wife Joanne all love Unmasked, a hugley underated album), enjoying a few beers and bullshitting the night away.  
Marlies
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #169 on: November 10, 2009, 12:22:49 PM »

I'm sure the boys will be very present at that Kiss show tonight!

3 yrs Danny... and I still feel cheated that we had to move to a Regina without you and Dave Sad

fuck
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #170 on: November 10, 2009, 05:19:49 PM »

Last time I saw Kiss Danny and I were front row center and Dave wasn't too far from us.. Danny and I waited over night at the Center of the Arts for Kiss tickets and he, Dave, Marlin and I went up to the show together. It was a shit load of fun.

GOLIATH
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2009, 09:42:37 PM »

Very strange day today, woke up not knowing it was the 10th, and twice today I thought of Danny.   This morning I was on the phone with a customer @ work, the guy said something, and I'll be damned if I can remember what it was, but he sounded just like Dan when he said it, kinda threw me for a loop.  The second thing was a couple hours ago, I was out shopping and a guy in shorts was walking down the aisle, he looked so close to Dan that I did a double take, and couldnt believe how much he looked like him, then it dawned on me what day it was.  Can't believe its been three years...Miss ya big guy.

"You people voted for Hubert Humphrey, and you killed Jesus." Raoul Duke
RNRPUMPKHIN!
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #172 on: November 10, 2010, 02:19:13 AM »

Dammit!  I've been looking all over the house for that big, 3-man sling-shot!  But I'll hafta settle with these ol' Dio/Rainbow LP's.  Like I've said before.  Things have never been the same! 

Take care.

GnomeBeard
You can find work and sort your life out anytime. The pub closes in five hours.
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2010, 09:37:40 AM »

As I sit at work looking out the window at the falling snow this morning, I picture Danny walking down the sidewalk in a pair of shorts!

Thinking about you and your brother today Danny.  I will be pulling out the Forty Creek tonight for a nice warming glass for you guys, maybe I'll have two.

Saskatchewan Beard & Moustache Club

https://www.facebook.com/saskbeardclub
zandra
Administrator

« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2010, 09:37:40 AM »

Been thinking about you boys a lot the last while, can't believe 4 years have gone by already! Let the cowbells ring today!

Cheers and Fuck!!!

Support the scene...buy a tshirt, buy a cd, BUY A TICKET and attend a show!

ADVANCE TICKETS available at VINTAGE VINYL, MADAME YES, ZEUS and online!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6      Go Up
Print
Saskmetal.com  |  Music  |  Metal Chat (Moderators: Cryptopchick, Mr. Metalguy, saskmetalmod, swamples)  |  Topic: R.I.P. Danny Stephenson
Jump to: