SiteMap Tool-Calgary Aug 24th, edmonton Aug 25th
  User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 09:23:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
292543 Posts in 5678 Topics by 2173 Members
Latest Member: dpressure
  Upcoming Shows
 photo d942789e-e877-4fa5-868d-15048ef6f06d_zps16c3f71d.jpg
  News
If you're having trouble logging in, clear any cookies related to saskmetal and try again!
Pages: [1]      Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tool-Calgary Aug 24th, edmonton Aug 25th  (Read 3654 times)
Master0vDisharmony
« on: August 30, 2006, 02:18:06 PM »

SETLIST Calgary--

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Right In Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

Pretty much amazing, the stage show started off pretty barebones, white stage, no screens ect. But it slowly progressed with every song. The stage turned out to be many lil screens put together, so in all actuality the whole stange was a screen, thos on the floor probably didnt get to see the whole effect, but it was pretty cool.

The Visuals:
Like i said, beginning of the set they started pretty barebones. Just vauge blobs of color, nothing really noteworthy. But as the show went one they introduced more complex visuals. At times I noticed there was some subliminal stuff in the visuals. Like distorted pictures of faces and stuff imposed under the visuals. I also noticed the pictures never showed the eyes of the people, they were always avoiding the eyes, one example would be a picture of a face, but its been cropped to only show the mouth and bride of the nose region. I thought that was pretty cool, and wonderd what they were getting at.

During Rosetta stoned (my favorite song) they showed an almond/oval shaped "eye" with bands of colors and such coming out of it, it happend to be during the "and he looked right through me, with somniforous almond eyes...". I thought that was pretty damn cool. they also had clips of a guy running down a dirt road beside a corn field or something, added to the alien story aspect of the song.

I think it was during lateralus where they finally brought ou the lazer show. Which was pretty damn cool, They had green, red, blue and maybe other colors. Me and kef both agreed "lazers are cool"

They also had these streams of lights haning in the back drop, they kind of outlined the alex grey painting "Net of Being". At first they just glowed white, not unlike thos christmas lights you see every year. But eventully they seemed to mimic what the visuals on the stage were doing. So you can faintly see the images projected by the streams of lights, which kinda acted as a secondary screen. very cool.

SETLIST Edmonton --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Opiate
Sober
(improv between maynard, adam, justin while danny's drums were being fixed)
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

The only difference between the calgary show and the edmonton show was the songs opiate and right in two, and edmonton had the 10min or so improv by the band while dannys drums were being fixed.

Maynards Stage look:

Anyone whos seen pictures of tool, or seen them live know maynard usually dress's pretty fucked. Blue body paint, bra and a fro, ect ect. The look he had for both shows are what i referd to as "the brokeback". He seemed to have a gay cowboy look, and to be honest, it was fucking entertaining. He wore tight Wrangler style jeans (blue of course) a huge belt buckle, no shirt, a white cowboy hat and aviator sunglass's. Anyone else in the world would never be allowed to wear this shit and be taken seriously, but since its maynard. Its automatically awesome.

His dancing was pretty cool too, kinda hard to explain, but during instramental parts he would pretend to straddle something/one. While singing he would wave his free hand in a slapping motion. During rosetta stoned he crouched down and walked around his little platform. He would lean back and hold onto his belt buckle and shake from side to side. Entertaining as hell.

Music:
Tight, tight as fuck, all the crazy syncopaited parts on the albums, they did it. Because of seeing them live, i want to get a bass and start learning. Jusin is pretty much the best bass player in the world in my eyes. So unique and very very melodic/powerful when he needs to be. Adams guitar riffs sound pretty straight forward on the surface. But in all actuality he does some pretty complex stuff rhythem wise. And I think that its the true masters that can make something thats very complex sound very very easy. Danny-This guys a machine. I dont even know how to classify some of his rhythems, definately poly rythems, And his use of a trigger board is very very cool. Maynards voice is also pretty cool, he mix's stuff up enough to keep interesting, but hes pretty faithfull to the albums. Like steph says so often, i wanna keep his voice in a box.

My thoughts:

I've seen tool last time they came through edmonton in 2002 or 2003 and it was a major event in my life, this time round was no different. I was zoomin for the calgary show, and stone sober for the second one. And i got to say that both shows got me exactly the same way. I connected with the music and had a great time. And i truly feel that its pretty much the best experiance I've had to date. If and when they come back again, Im throwing caution to the wind and going at any expense.
Master0vDisharmony
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 02:22:35 PM »

Oh and schisim had an additional middle part i think.
bob endo
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 02:54:58 PM »

So ... you liked the shows, huh ?
Master0vDisharmony
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 02:58:10 PM »

lil bit
pain of occupation
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 09:57:19 AM »

its about time tool record a show for a dvd. i had kinda heard that tool were boring live - part of why i wasnt too upset i didnt get tix. had they put out a dvd of a show from the lateralus tour, perhaps i woulda been convinced this was an unmissable event.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 12:15:22 PM by The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight!!! » Logged

ive seen anathema            (on youtube)
Pages: [1]      Go Up
Print
Saskmetal.com  |  Music  |  Reviews (Moderators: IAmGray, Mr. Metalguy, saskmetalmod, swamples)  |  Topic: Tool-Calgary Aug 24th, edmonton Aug 25th
Jump to: