SiteMap The Chopshop
  User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 07:27:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
292557 Posts in 5679 Topics by 2173 Members
Latest Member: dpressure
  News
If you're having trouble logging in, clear any cookies related to saskmetal and try again!
Pages: 1 [2]      Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Chopshop  (Read 17371 times)
The Corruptor
Looking in windows since 1986.
Saskmetal Member

I got a potty mouth

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2006, 03:29:45 PM »

huzzah!

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
But is there because he's a victim of the times.
- Johnny Cash
"I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, tall, short, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. It's as simple as that"
All suffering comes from a person's inability to sit still and be alone. - Anthony de Mello
Twit - The Corruptor
pain of occupation
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2006, 05:14:55 PM »

friday night in san fransisco is sick!

and, um, james plays the solo in dyers eve?

ive seen anathema            (on youtube)
bob endo
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2006, 06:26:51 PM »

And one on Orion too.
pain of occupation
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2006, 01:02:30 PM »

um, i'm pretty sure that's kirk on dyer's eve...james does, however, do a solo in to live is to die.

ive seen anathema            (on youtube)
Jackson-THC
~Jackson-THC~
Saskmetal Member

Shred Shred Shred

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2006, 09:28:30 AM »

In my opinion, you can play at lightning speeds impressing guitarists everywhere, but if you have no passion and no melody just blazing fast solos that the non-musician cant take in, theres really no point. Ygnwie was a phase for me, and thats what i learned from it. Yes it sounds fucking cool, but to someone who isnt at all musically inclined, its practicly too much to handle. In my playing, i balance it out. I'll play a lead when the time and the mood of the song is right.  Dimebag is a huge influence on my playing, because he balanced them perfectly.

Shred with emotion, thats all i have to say.

~Long Live Metal and Total Hell on Earth~
~Legalize Dope~
Ir0n_mE
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2006, 09:30:48 AM »

The emotion of "Look at me I can play really really fast!"
bob endo
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2006, 09:57:46 AM »

HA !
diamondbanger
I ain't dead yet, I still have time to annoy you.
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2008, 03:38:06 PM »

I thought this thread would have been deleted by now...  I'll bump it just for shits and giggles.

The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very very badly...
I expected times like this:  but never thought they'd be so bad, so long and so frequent.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteor hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteorite.
­­Berner
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2008, 03:49:25 PM »

Oh shred. I used to adore it, now I mostly laugh at it. I only really use fast sections to transition from different ideas in my solos.
bubba
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2009, 11:50:30 PM »

i found for a while i knew what i wanted to play but i couldnt translate it through my brain to actually play it. then a couple months ago i picked up john petruccis rock discipline book and i started using exercises from there as warm up techniques and i noticed quite a bit of improvement in a fairly short amount of time. i read in a magazine that matt heafy from trivium uses this and although trivium may not be some peoples brand of whiskey his playing has improved over the last couple albums.

i guess if you wanna take anything away from this its if you wanna play like your favourite players find out what they did and use some of that in your day to day practising
necrolobes
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2009, 12:03:55 AM »

3 YR OLD THREAD
bubba
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2009, 09:19:48 PM »

well the last time i was posting semi-regularly on this site was about 3 years ago so whatever
necrolobes
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2009, 01:58:12 AM »

NO U !!
wylde1
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2009, 11:29:50 AM »

I remember going through the phase of wanting to be like Randy Rhoads, Joe Satriani and Alex Skolnick; they were my idols.  Not to say that to this day I don't use those guys as a reference point anymore, I've tried very hard to discover my own voice on the guitar.  Let's face it, nobody is ever going to be better than those guys at what they do.  What they play is 100% their own creation.  They put together their own styles, which should be the goal of every guitarist.  I will admit that there are times when I find that I do sound like a certain bearded,  Les Paul wielding guitarist, I see nothing wrong with a 'tip of the hat'  Wear your influences on your sleeve, and hopefully we all can be at a point when our influences become a source of inspiration rather than a obsession.

I could not possibily agree with this MORE!   The REASON these guys and many others have become standouts is they have their own voice and style.  Alot of players try to emulate too much and just end up being clones.  It is very difficult to mould your own tone and technique, I know I've struggled with it for the 10 years I've been playing, but it's very important.

If you take Zakk as an example, I was listening to Pride and Glory (his old southern rock 3 piece) and my wife could tell it was him.  I'm a big Zakk fan but I think the lastest BLS stuff has become too formulaic, and he's relying more on shredding pentatonics for solos.  If you go back to P&G songs like machine gun man and horse called war, there is alot more feel and soul.  I think my favorite solo though is the one in no more tears, I love the build up and the bluesy bends. 

great topic btw
necrolobes
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2009, 12:36:15 PM »

I'm a big Zakk fan but I think the lastest BLS stuff has become too formulaic, and he's relying more on shredding pentatonics for solos.

thats why his fake biker ass got kicked out of ozzy .
The Prairie Prophet
I'm not a fan of all of it, but a lot of it
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 03:54:44 PM »

your comment suggests that ozzy might still be legit.

When god gives you lemons you FIND A NEW GOD!!!
necrolobes
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 03:59:43 PM »

no my comment suggests that zakk is a parody of a parody
The Prairie Prophet
I'm not a fan of all of it, but a lot of it
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2009, 03:59:59 PM »

touche

When god gives you lemons you FIND A NEW GOD!!!
Pages: 1 [2]      Go Up
Print
Saskmetal.com  |  Music  |  Musicians Corner (Moderators: Mr. Metalguy, saskmetalmod)  |  Topic: The Chopshop
Jump to: