SiteMap R. I. P. Rob Doherty
  User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 08:09:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
292543 Posts in 5678 Topics by 2173 Members
Latest Member: dpressure
  Upcoming Shows
 photo d942789e-e877-4fa5-868d-15048ef6f06d_zps16c3f71d.jpg
  News
If you're having trouble logging in, clear any cookies related to saskmetal and try again!
Pages: [1] 2      Go Down
Print
Author Topic: R. I. P. Rob Doherty  (Read 11325 times)
Cryptopchick
Great Superior Forum Master

« on: May 05, 2012, 10:04:39 AM »

By now most of you have heard. Rob Doherty passed away last evening. I take solace knowing he has found a peace he has needed to find his entire life. Tragic news...I feel speechless.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:29:43 AM by Cryptopchick » Logged

Riding the Road of Excess, Straight to the Land of Sin....
Everything I say is awesome
I need a man to fix it.
Club can't even handle me right now

I've seen Anathema <3
grim and nordic
Saskmetal Member

the afterlife means we reign as ghosts

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 10:55:04 AM »

I didn't know Rob very deeply, but he was always a great person and extremely kind to me. He was one of the main reasons I started getting into death metal and doing vocals. He had a huge impact on my life. I'm pretty choked right now.

My condolences to all who were closer to him than I. He was a great guy.
reginaguy
The artist formerly known as thecoach
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 11:05:37 AM »

So shitty!  didn't want to believe ky buddy when he told me last night...seemed weird hearing it from him first of all people.  Such a great nice guy.  Pericardium was the first ever live band I saw.
TLO
Creepin it real since 1984
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 11:56:11 AM »

I'm blasting Final Darkness loud as fuck today

great guy.....I wish there was more that could have been done

RIP

a truly dark day

and here I thought it was a Lord of the Rings quote.
reginaguy
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 11:58:15 AM »

I think this is something that needs it own thread.  Rob was a well known guy in the scene for many many years and an all around great guy!  I didn't get to know him as well as a lot of others on this board, but any time I saw him at the Exchange or saw him around he always took the time to chat about things and how things were going.  I remember Pericardium being the first ever live concert I saw (other than being dragged to my dad and uncles shitty country band when I was a kid) when me and a few buddies when to I think it was The State at the time (it was around the winter of '95/'96 and all I remember was the sign next door was the "Green Apple Cafe" or something like that).  Was more or less my first step into the local music/metal scene.

The guy has been a part of so many great bands and projects I don't think it's necessary to get into listing them all.

RIP Rob
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:18:30 PM by saskmetalmod » Logged
The Prairie Prophet
I'm not a fan of all of it, but a lot of it
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 12:08:21 PM »

Absolutely sad day for anyone who knew him and for our metal community in general.  I can only echo others' sentiments in that I didn't know him super well, but when I was first getting into IE and this scene in general he was always a super nice guy.  I remember e-mailing him on IE's website to buy a hat for spud and he invited me over to his house to pick it up.  He was a great example of the kindness and brotherhood that this community is capable of and this is truly a tragic loss.  My sincerest condolences to the many who were closer to him, I know he will be sorely missed.

RIP

When god gives you lemons you FIND A NEW GOD!!!
Mr. Metalguy

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »

What the... Cry

Saskmetal is a place of intelligent conversations

Cat.
I'm a kitty cat.
And I dance dance dance
And I dance dance dance.

I comport myself like an old-timey gentleman.
Mr. Metalguy

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 12:21:53 PM »

What happened? This is absolutely the worst news I have heard today.

RIP my friend.

Cat.
I'm a kitty cat.
And I dance dance dance
And I dance dance dance.

reginaguy
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 12:26:52 PM »

I think this may be a bit of a private thing, so unless you are ABSOLUTELY certain the family, etc. is okay with putting it out there please don't post what happened on a public forum.
Jordan
Shredder of Gnar.
Saskmetal Member

Katy Perry has awesome boobs.

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »

I think this may be a bit of a private thing, so unless you are ABSOLUTELY certain the family, etc. is okay with putting it out there please don't post what happened on a public forum.
QFT  .

In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something.

that's like getting a hologram of hitler to host your bar mitzvah
Jordan
Shredder of Gnar.
Saskmetal Member

Katy Perry has awesome boobs.

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 01:22:28 PM »

The metal community lost a true brother and inspiration, this news ruined my fucking week. Rest easy dude.

In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something.

that's like getting a hologram of hitler to host your bar mitzvah
Meg
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 03:34:53 PM »

Incredibly sad. I only talked to Rob a few times but he always had a smile on his face and was always welcoming to everyone. May he rest in peace.

I am retarded
I know right? I am on a roll today. It is as if someone injected me with a good dose of not being able to shut the fuck up.
zandra
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 01:09:14 AM »

My heart aches.

I can't believe he's gone, I just can't.

I don't understand it.

Everything is different now.

Cheers and Fuck!!!

Support the scene...buy a tshirt, buy a cd, BUY A TICKET and attend a show!

ADVANCE TICKETS available at VINTAGE VINYL, MADAME YES, ZEUS and online!
J-Net
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 06:18:52 AM »

Rob was the nicest guy...also the very first person in the metal community that I had the pleasure of meeting back in the days of the State. RIP

Do onto others before they can do onto me
Hurthle
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 08:03:59 AM »

http://www.bravewords.com/news/182997

Former INTO ETERNITY Guitarist/FINAL DARKNESS Mainman Rob Doherty Passes

Former INTO ETERNITY guitarist and "ambassador of Saskatchewan metal" Rob Doherty has suddenly passed. He played on the band's 2004 album Buried In Oblivion. Into Eternity mainman Tim Roth says that "he was a special part of our band. Our condolences go out to all of Rob's family and friends, and to all those, who Rob's music touched."

Doherty's band mates in FINAL DARKNESS issued the following statement: "It is with incredible sadness that we must say good bye to our brother Rob - you will be greatly missed by all who knew and loved you...thank you for being a part of our lives. May you find peace my friend..."

Doherty released the debut from his FINAL DARKNESS project late last year.

It feels really good to finally have those songs out of the demo stage and recorded and mixed properly, Doherty told BraveWords.com about the album recently. Its been a long time coming-it took four years to finally get the funding to do it right, the original plan changed as far as the label it was to be released on, and the songs were reworked a little bit, but I think change is good and in the end they came out like I was hoping they would. Im really happy with the sound, and I ended up doing the vocals myself. I wanted to try a few things vocally that were a bit of a challenge; doing death vocals is fairly easy for me but I wanted some hardcore vocals with some cleans as well, so that was interesting. I suppose there is always room for improvement, but, all in all, Im happy with it.

The album also features guest performances from Tim Roth (Into Eternity) on the songs 'Kill Room', 'Memories' and 'Darkness Falls'. A big break came when legendary producer/engineer Neil Kernon (QUEENSRCHE, NEVERMORE, CANNIBAL CORPSE) agreed to do the final mix for the project. Kernon also helped hook Doherty up with mastering engineer Alan Douches from West West Side Music to help give the album "a killer sound."

"Fuck all the whiners, all those who cant take a joke and all those who take everything so fuckin seriously"
snowy white
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 03:14:53 PM »

A really good guy who'll be sorely missed. I had the good fortune of being able to interview him back in January and he became a good friend of my show.

Horns Up Forever, Dude!!
Cryptopchick

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »

Rob Doherty....he was definitely one of a kind. I've never met anyone with such passion, drive and dedication for music. He was a serious metal-head, but while we were together I got him hooked and massively appreciating a lot of softer stuff. He fell in love with Tori Amos and was working on a great cover of her song "Winter" which was awesome, and I wish he'd done something with it. We shared a lot of great moments, he was the only person I've sang my heart out in front of, he encouraged me so much and both of our musical passions led to some hardcore one-on-one acoustic jams at my place. He was so fucking funny, and such an original humour that would crack me right the fuck up. He had his catch phrases, and those will live on in so many of us that knew him well. Some of the shit he'd say was out-right addictive, and you couldn't help but stealing his material. If you ever hear anyone say: "Ho-lay", that's all Doherty. I've heard others say it countless times, including myself. So good. And his impressions of people would bring you to tears.

He had a hard fucking life. One of the hardest I've ever heard of, and I cried at several of his memories. Shit that would shock you, he had to overcome a lot. I think it's because of this that he was such a sensitive person...which he really was. He could be very compassionate if he cared about something. He also had a hardness about him, which was never a surprise why.

Total animal lover, and I like to think he's been reunited with his cat Moon who he had taken care of after his dad passed away, and absolutely adored. That cat was the love of his life and it ripped his heart in two that he had lost it. He spoiled my dog fucking rotten.

It was not all sunshine and roses with Rob and I and we ended on a very poor note. I'm not going to pretend it was all wonderful, because it wasn't and I hadn't spoken to him since we split. In fact, we'd go out of our way to ignore each other when out in public. It is what it is, I'm not going to say I regret one thing or another, it's life. I will still be at the memorial as he was an outstanding person and talent, all differences now aside. If only it were so easy to forgive people while they're alive.

I'll end by saying we've lost an incredible talent and the most unique person I've ever known. It is tragic, confusing and completely unbelievable that he is gone. My mind will never fully be able to wrap itself around this, and life just feels different now. Let those you love know it, hug everyone a little tighter next time, raise your horns in the air and bang your head like you fuckinf mean it, and let Rob live on in your memories.

Til we meet again, Doherty.

I need a man to fix it.

I've seen Anathema <3
Toddureself
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 10:12:42 PM »

Very sad to hear this news...I can't pretend I knew him that well, but his music was my first introduction to the local metal scene. I listened to the Pericardium cassette demo non-stop, and Pericardium with Macabre was the first live show I ever went to.

One of my favourite memories of Rob was when I was 14 and I met him for the first time. I went into Records on Wheels at the old Scarth Street location, and I asked if they had any Mortician albums. Rob was hanging out in the store, and I didn't know who he was. He said, "Mortician's okay, but these guys are way better," and pointed out Anthems of Anger by Pericardium. I bought it--back then I didn't have internet so I relied a lot more on word of mouth--and it wasn't until I got home and opened it up that I realized he had sold me an album by his own band.

that guy just wouldn't give me a wet vagina.
Cryptopchick

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 10:43:11 PM »

Lmao...that's awesome

I need a man to fix it.

I've seen Anathema <3
Mr. Metalguy

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 07:03:33 AM »

Lmao...that's awesome

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Cat.
I'm a kitty cat.
And I dance dance dance
And I dance dance dance.

TLO
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 09:33:13 AM »

That's a great story Todd.  And a great post Steph. 

GnomeBeard
You can find work and sort your life out anytime. The pub closes in five hours.
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 09:55:21 AM »

Agreed, a very touching post there Steph, and great story Todd.

What's there to say, a real loss for words.  Rob was one of the kindest people I have met.  Certainly a person I wish I would have got to know better, but nonetheless I considered him a friend and all my memories of him were nothing but good.  Big influence from the start when I entered the music scene here, and fuck, just a nice guy and an amazing passionate musician.  A big hug from the Spud to all of you.  R.I.P. Rob, I hope you have found peace.

Saskatchewan Beard & Moustache Club

https://www.facebook.com/saskbeardclub
Bower
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 10:52:16 AM »

ya wow I was shocked to see/hear this.

I also didn't know him all that well although we chatted every time we saw each other for probably the last 10 years I bet.

I remember first meeting him and we were laughing about how I got the pericardium cd from apocolypse for 5 bucks. He was simultaneously happy to hear that I loved it and got a deal but also really put off that somebody would have had to have sold it second hand there hahaha.

Really sad news. My heart and thoughts go out to those who were close to him.
fuck
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 11:40:19 AM »

I remember meeting Into Eternity at the airport after one of their long tours, and Rob was wearing leather pants... He had them on the whole flight back to Regina, I think it was 6 hours of flights in total. I asked him "man, aren't you fuckin' hot in those pants?!"

Rob: "dude,  you have no idea... I can't handle being in these pants right now... But I sure look cool don't I!"

Cryptopchick

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 02:19:06 PM »

I also picked up Anthems at Apocolypse haha. And he wore those pants everyday for that entire tour....

I need a man to fix it.

I've seen Anathema <3
Bender
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 04:09:46 PM »

Great posts guys! Steph, you nailed it. The humour was out of control! He did so many impersonations and told me so many great stories in the studio - However - my hands down favorite moment with Rob was just watching his reaction to Roman doing an impression and telling the story relating to it. The story was really funny, but watching Rob almost on the ground, crying, having a hard time breathing because he was laughing so hard just made the whole thing that much more hilarious.

So many great moments. I look forward to them randomly popping in my head as things trigger memories throughout my life. I miss the guy greatly, but I am lucky that I have so many good memories to look back on.

TLO
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 06:49:35 PM »

well said

Cryptopchick

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 04:35:08 AM »

I wish I could shake this spooked and uneasy fucking feeling. Saturday was a great distraction but now this is all I think about.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:05:32 AM by Cryptopchick » Logged

I need a man to fix it.

I've seen Anathema <3
GnomeBeard
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 06:28:03 AM »

I wish that it could be easy for ya Steph, it's all I've thought about since gettin back to Regina.  Didn't sleep much Sunday or just this last night; distracted me at work yesterday. I can't imagine what you and many others who were closer to him are feeling.  Just hang in there with good memories, music, and your friends.

ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Master Of The Universe
Saskmetal Member

Landry, The Shwag Daggler

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 10:02:03 AM »

When I was dating my now ex I would go to Planet Caravan daily and hang out with the gang while she worked.... Rob was in there at least 4 days a week... I knew him before but it wasn't until i hung around the shop that i got to truly meet Rob.... I heard his touring stories, his horror stories and sometimes we would get a little overboard and he would share some more personal stories.... He has been around the bend and has done it all... played massive festivals ... toured various parts of the world and been involved in many different projects.. everything a TRUE metal head needs

Some of the heavier/darker times in his life seemed to be behind him and he seemed to be getting the break he deserved... When my ex and i broke up i would only see Rob at shows and the odd downtown run in.... he was always interested in what i was doing musically.. whether it be metal, stoner or just noodling around... and that defiantly contributes to my sadness with the loss of this giant..

the second i read Romans facebook on saturday i called a close friend of his and he confirmed the news... I (like many of you) probably did sat and thought of the impact that he had made on the local metal scene and many friends lives.... (and yeah i defiantly broke down a couple times to).. But i know Rob wouldn't want that!!!

I remember refurbishing an old computer for him so he could skype his girlfriend (who was teaching in asia) and he kept persisting on giving me money.. and i kept saying "Rob this is an old ass computer, it will work for what you need it to do its not worth anything" and he kept persisting and persisting and i wouldn't let him... then one day im sitting at Planet Caravan noodling on an acoustic and he was going off of how he skype her for hours at like 3 in the morning and how awesome it was to see her etc... Then we just sat there for a moment and im just failing horribly at playing some lick and hes like "well can i at least I can do is give you some free guitar lessons"

TL >DR = I refurbed a PC for rob so he could skype his g/f and I wouldnt accept money for it... while sucking ass at guitar infront of Rob he offered my free guitar lessons in return

that one moment just showed exactly who he was.... Humorous, appreciative and all around a cool dude!! Like steph said the signature ""Ho-lay" will always be a Rob thing...

We lost a giant... i lost a friend and the Regina metal scene lost a legend...... Hail Rob!! I fuckin love ya buddy and i cant wait to jam someday on the otherside

EDIT: On the spot jam a few buddies and i had that saturday.... the end sounds like bathory and quite frankly was a super epic noodle.... This jam is/was dedicated to ROB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WME72X7YR7Y
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:05:43 AM by ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ) » Logged

GnomeBeard
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 11:25:31 AM »

Good post there Dave.

he was always interested in what i was doing musically.. whether it be metal, stoner or just noodling around... and that defiantly contributes to my sadness with the loss of this giant..

Yeah, I dunno if there was ever a time whether it be a short or long chat that Rob wouldn't ask and show interest in what I was doing musically.  Several years ago during a good chat we were having he expressed interest in recording/producing some new material that I had in mind.  That would have been a fuckin cool experience man.  Wish that would've happened.

Edward The Longshanks
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 03:35:02 PM »

like some people here i too can't say i really knew him at all personally, just knew who he was and how good of a musician he was. he was awesome in IE and i love his final darkness material. my only real memory of him was when he went up on stage with kataklysm for a song when they were here a few years ago. he looked real happy and appreciative and he just seemed like an awesome and chill guy who was just enjoying life. R.I.P.
saskmetalmod

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2012, 09:05:52 AM »

http://www.carscaddenfuneralchapel.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=1477602&fh_id=11256

I would assume there will be some type of memorial in Regina at a later date?
Cryptopchick

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2012, 10:40:45 AM »

Yes...details will be released soon.

I need a man to fix it.

I've seen Anathema <3
TLO
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 04:19:18 PM »

Steph I'm gonna be gone for a few days. Do me a favour and keep me posted?

Pages: [1] 2      Go Up
Print
Saskmetal.com  |  Music  |  Metal Chat (Moderators: Cryptopchick, Mr. Metalguy, saskmetalmod, swamples)  |  Topic: R. I. P. Rob Doherty
Jump to: