SiteMap HELP REGARDING COMPRESSORS!!
  User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 08:10:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
292543 Posts in 5678 Topics by 2173 Members
Latest Member: dpressure
  Upcoming Shows
 photo d942789e-e877-4fa5-868d-15048ef6f06d_zps16c3f71d.jpg
  News
If you're having trouble logging in, clear any cookies related to saskmetal and try again!
Pages: [1]      Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HELP REGARDING COMPRESSORS!!  (Read 3426 times)
ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Master Of The Universe
Saskmetal Member

Landry, The Shwag Daggler

« on: March 04, 2011, 01:37:02 PM »

I just got FoxRox mod installed in my Hendrix Wah (had to find my solder points .. but i did good for a noob) and i notice that whenever i engage my wah (click the f/s) the volume drops... i tried tweaking the trimmer on the FOXROX but its still "quiet" the wah sounds absolutely orgasmic full sweeps are letting even the hottest settings on the FUZZFACTORY come out just wonderfully!!

(NOTE THE FOXROX MODDED MY WAH SO MY FUZZ FACTORY DOESN'T SQUEAL.. ITS ESSENTIALLY A WAH BUFFER)

Now is this just a matter of getting a TBP compressor?

I use both the FF and Woolly Mammoth on my effects board (I have a TBP channel switch that is left open and i toggle my choice fuzz when needed)

My Pedals:

IN > FF/WM > BOSS OC-3 > BOSS PH-3 > BOSS OBD-3 > Hendrix Wah (with FoxRox Mod) > OUT

My Amp:

Orange ADTC30
With 4x12 Cab

So does it sound smart for me to put the TBP Compressor after my wah at the VERY end of the line??

Save you a lurk
Foxrox: http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/Wah%20retrofit%201.html
Fuzz Factory: http://zvex.com/fuzz.html
Woolly Mammoth: http://zvex.com/mammoth.html

NOTE: I DO NOT HAVE A COMPRESSOR YET!!!!! WILL I NEED A TPB COMPRESSOR OR WILL IT EVEN DO ANYTYHING???
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:42:52 PM by Dafe » Logged

Bender
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 09:30:32 PM »

I'd probably just get one of those Boss line selector pedals. I think you could run the wah through that, with a boss eq pedal right after, use the eq for the volume boost (and a bit of different shaping if you like). Then just hit the line pedal to get both at once.

Compressor is tricky because to get the quieter sound to be as loud, you have to compress the dynamics of the louder sound to match it, therefore, possibly in a bad way, you might squash your sound too much by the time you get the levelling result you want.

ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Master Of The Universe
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 10:56:51 AM »

I went to L&M and got a loaner boss compressor/sustainer.... so far its kinda working but since its none TBP there is some strange squashing... i wanna try a boutique one just to see but no-one in town carries a TPB compressor... i dont wanna gamble $150

Bender
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:50:44 PM »

also... TPB? The pirate bay? I think you're getting your threads crossed.... heheheheh

I definitely am missing something here though. My advice still is (hopefully) valid though, regardless.

Whatever the fuck I call myself these days
¯\(°_o)/¯
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 12:24:27 PM »

I think he means true bypass, which most of the time is a bullshit claim anyway.
ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Master Of The Universe
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 08:20:36 PM »

indeed true bypass... if i buy anything boutique i generally steer clear of something that isn't reviewed heavily by fx communities and such...

soo far this boss CS-3 is doing the job very well... indeed exceeded my expectations... its basically a set and forget pedal but it makes my board look that much bigger... however im looking like quite the boss fan boy tho...

Still have to get my painted phaser back and get a delay (possibly space echo)

Bender
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 12:26:41 AM »

I hate pedals... and huge pedal boards.... hahaha

ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Master Of The Universe
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 11:10:51 AM »

you prefer a fat rack? dont blame ya

Bender
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 11:30:53 AM »

I just have a little rack... heheh

the only thing that pisses me off is my midi controller is as big around as my fuckin' head is. I need to get one of those Peak midi controllers, with the four preset switches and two bank switches above... I could also use a really really good noise suppressor cause the built in one kinda isn't so great. Better than the tone sucking NS-2 anyway.

­­Berner
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 11:52:53 AM »

I don't find the NS-2 to be that big of a tone sucker.
Whatever the fuck I call myself these days
¯\(°_o)/¯
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 12:32:14 PM »

I did a shootout awhile back between the NS2 and the Decimator on a krank head/mesa cab and didn't hear much of any difference...defini tely nothing to get your panties in a bunch over. Naturally if you're maxing the threshold there is going to be some loss in tone, but with more subtle settings it shouldn't really matter, especially live. That said, I've been using my NS2 less and less lately. Pretty much only for quick stop parts.
ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Master Of The Universe
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 03:00:06 PM »

I did a shootout awhile back between the NS2 and the Decimator on a krank head/mesa cab and didn't hear much of any difference...defini tely nothing to get your panties in a bunch over. Naturally if you're maxing the threshold there is going to be some loss in tone, but with more subtle settings it shouldn't really matter, especially live. That said, I've been using my NS2 less and less lately. Pretty much only for quick stop parts.

I remember that thread... kinda the reason i asked about compressors here...

I keep reading all these people and there strange setups... I always thought a compressor goes last most of the time (i know a lot do compressor then EQ)

in the end im expecting to be dancing on about 10 pedals (a show in itself)

Bender
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 11:18:28 PM »

Compressor last yeah. You should actually look at a limiter. Brickwall if you can find one (may not be cheap). It'll do the job you're looking for, perhaps a little more true to the sound of your rig.

NS-2 doesn't really do what I want it to do unless I max threshold and release all the way down. Definitely is a bit of a tone sucker at that point. I probably use a bit too much gain, and maybe we jam a bit too loud - but I need absolutely dead stops, which is hard to do and also have decent sustain. With my 11 rack I just have different gate settings for each patch, but then I'm stomping pedals way more than I want to. I'll be curious to see your show whenever that happens, Dave. The pedal-dancing should be worth the price of admission alone heheh. But yeah, that's something I'm trying to eliminate as much as I can.

Back to your comp and/or limiter - where do you currently have it? Do you have it in your fx loop? You might want to try it at the end of the chain in the loop. Level out everything post everything... know what I'm sayin'? There is nothing wrong with compressing your actual distorted sound coming out the pre stage of your rig, hitting everything right before the power stage. Might actually sound good, but hopefully you aren't squashing the louder parts too much to get the levelling of all patches that you want.

Is this rig in Regina, Dave?

grim and nordic
Saskmetal Member

the afterlife means we reign as ghosts

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 12:06:37 AM »

personally i would get a DeWalt compressor or perhaps a Porter-Cable.

Both compressors are easy to use and have a nice sized tank on them, plus great quality by both brands.
Pages: [1]      Go Up
Print
Saskmetal.com  |  Music  |  Musicians Corner (Moderators: Mr. Metalguy, saskmetalmod)  |  Topic: HELP REGARDING COMPRESSORS!!
Jump to: