SiteMap Drum micing and triggering
  User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 11:02:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
292587 Posts in 5680 Topics by 2173 Members
Latest Member: dpressure
  News
If you're having trouble logging in, clear any cookies related to saskmetal and try again!
Pages: [1]      Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Drum micing and triggering  (Read 2956 times)
mutinypunisher666
Saskmetal Member

« on: February 17, 2011, 10:25:04 PM »

Wanna get my kit ready to record and go to shows.  What should I use?  On a budget.
necrolobes
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 01:25:31 AM »

dont trigger
budget saved
mutinypunisher666
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 07:33:12 AM »

Thought so.  Thanks.
ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Master Of The Universe
Saskmetal Member

Landry, The Shwag Daggler

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:27:18 AM »

or you can hybrid your kit for $200....

i got a used drum brain for $100 and some cheap piezo triggers ($90 for 10)

it took some time to eliminate crosstalk and ghosted triggers but my double kicks are crushing (i mainly use kicks and snare.. but all my toms are done as well) I use the sounds on the brain or if I REALLY feel like nerding out i connect the midi to my pc and build my own kit using Superior Drummer (iv even made cardboard cymbals... none mute-able given the budget but sweet none-the-less)

PearlDrummer
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 10:23:36 AM »

Audix mics.  Problem solved.

I'm so metal I piss mercury.
mutinypunisher666
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 09:21:04 AM »

thanks guys!
Ryan
Saskmetal Member

Grind!

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 09:49:19 AM »

Recording drums = different beast than live micing.  Micing live, you just need to slap on a quick "mic kit" and then do a soundcheck and set up the gates on each drum.

Recording = meticulous setup involving having each mic on a mic stand, as well as a stereo overhead pair, and making sure to phase align EVERY SINGLE MIC.
If you are on a budget, you can buy a full clip-on mic set, and use them for both live and studio, but they won't sound that great in the studio compared to a handful of Seinheiser 421s, SM57s, and AKG451s. (Or whatever your flavor is)

Shure makes something like this that will be ok and inexpensive: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/PG/pgdmk6-drum-mic-kit  But I would still invest in at least one SM57 to go with it.

If you REALLY want your kick drum to thump without having to go down the trigger path, purchase one of these to put inside the kick drum: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/beta/beta-91a-half-cardioid-condenser-microphone I have gotten the BEST results with one of these.

IF you really want to have a punchy tight kick, try the Yamaha subkick. Its basically a speaker mounted in a drum skin. The speaker acts as a large diaphragm dynamic mic.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/drums/accessories/lowfreq/skrm-100sfv/?mode=model

I used to trigger my kick drum when I played in a Grindcore band.  I sucked back then, but I thought that triggering was the only way to get a super tight and responsive kick sound.  I know now, that is not the case if you have proper mic technique, along with helpful things such as gates and compressors.  Pick up that Shure Beta91 and you will thank yourself.

Bender
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 08:06:01 PM »

Mostly agreed with Ryan. Beta 91 (or SM91 if you can actually find one) are the SHIT. I've had people come up to me at the exchange and ask if the drummer was using triggers, when I mic with those. Decent amount of compression, and good rejection, I get away without gating often live. I fuckin' hate gates, live or otherwise, so if I can get around them by having a good drummer with a good sounding kit, I'm all for it. Of course, that almost never happens so therefore... gates it is. That mic saves the day for me many times.

I'm all for triggering though. When you get to 200bpm or faster, 16th note double bass, there are very few drummers who sound good without a trigger at that pace. They're just a really good sound re-enforcement tool. You kinda gotta have 'em live, I feel...

In the studio, triggers are completely useless to me. Not nearly accurate enough. Well, I suppose you could edit the triggers to line up to the kicks, and manually delete or add missed or extra hits... and if you're quantizing everything anyway, then I guess it would be the same amount of work. But inevitably I've come to the same conclusion over and over that replacing the sounds after the fact, just using the audio from the 91 inside the kick, is the best and most efficient option. Many ways to do it too. And with Slate drums, and superior, etc... there are amazing sample packs out there to get you amazing drum sounds fast.

Those audix mics are perfectly fine for live, give them a shot. Byron chambers has those goosneck Beyerdynamic mics for toms... and so far those are my favorite, I'd love to hear them in a studio setting. Even as clip-ons, I think they are fantastic and imagine they would work well in a recording. The rejection is killer, so I also imagine that replacing toms in the studio would be super accurate as well, with drummagog or slates' Trigger or whatever.

Oh yeah I said "mostly agreed". I think the subkick is a waste of time gimmick. But that's just my opinion. Haven't used it more than once.

­­Berner
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 12:48:05 PM »

SM91's sound awesome. Brent uses them when we play live they sound beauty.
Brent
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 01:19:14 PM »

SM91's sound awesome. Brent uses them when we play live they sound beauty.

Mine are Beta91's actually but yeah they definitely do the trick.

mutinypunisher666
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 03:37:48 PM »

Thanks guys.  Have a lot of good info now.
Pages: [1]      Go Up
Print
Saskmetal.com  |  Music  |  Musicians Corner (Moderators: Mr. Metalguy, saskmetalmod)  |  Topic: Drum micing and triggering
Jump to: