SiteMap Installing new pickups
  User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 01:37:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
292543 Posts in 5678 Topics by 2173 Members
Latest Member: dpressure
  Upcoming Shows
 photo d942789e-e877-4fa5-868d-15048ef6f06d_zps16c3f71d.jpg
  News
If you're having trouble logging in, clear any cookies related to saskmetal and try again!
Pages: [1]      Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Installing new pickups  (Read 1495 times)
Johnny Hellbeef
Saskmetal Member

To acheive singularity, the ego must be cast off

« on: October 08, 2010, 12:34:59 AM »

Ok, so I'm gonna probably wind up taking this thing in but am looking for some advice from someone who is more experienced than I before I do so.

I have an SG with a 2 hb, 2 volume, 2 tone, 3 way toggle configuration. I have removed the stock 2 conductor hb's and have installed seymour duncan custom SH-5 bridge and seymour duncan SH-2N neck pickups. I wired the pickups to the wiring diagrams specs with no deviations.

Result: Overall volume in all 3 positions of the pickup selector switch is seriously diminished. Volume control on both bridge and neck pick ups does not roll off. It is on until the pots are nearly rolled completely down and then the volume cuts off. As well, both tone pots for bridge and neck do not change tone at all.

I have ruled out shorts and overhearting of the pots during soldering.

This link provides a wiring diagram that shows almost exactly how my guitar is currently wired:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w

The only difference between this schematic and the way my guitar is wired is that in the schematic there is wire connecting all the pots together. My guitar wiring does not have this and I am suspicious this may be the issue but am not sure.

I have cross referenced several similar wiring diagrams and have opened up a couple guitars with the same configuration to check the wiring to no avail. Every wiring diagram and guitar I looked at was different in one way or another, some moderately different, some radically. So I'm pretty much stumped here.

Anyone with pickup wiring experience who is willing to share their wisdom will receive my full attention. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Johnny Hellbeef
Saskmetal Member

To acheive singularity, the ego must be cast off

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 12:40:22 AM »

Fixed

Pages: [1]      Go Up
Print
Saskmetal.com  |  Music  |  Musicians Corner (Moderators: Mr. Metalguy, saskmetalmod)  |  Topic: Installing new pickups
Jump to: