SiteMap Led Zeppelin Fun Facts!
  User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 06:14:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
292543 Posts in 5678 Topics by 2173 Members
Latest Member: dpressure
  Upcoming Shows
 photo d942789e-e877-4fa5-868d-15048ef6f06d_zps16c3f71d.jpg
  News
If you're having trouble logging in, clear any cookies related to saskmetal and try again!
Pages: [1]      Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Led Zeppelin Fun Facts!  (Read 26091 times)
ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Master Of The Universe
Saskmetal Member

Landry, The Shwag Daggler

« on: September 07, 2010, 10:44:41 AM »

I swear to god in the last month iv heard probably every Zeppelin album like 5 times (not a bad thing really) and watched 4 dvds..... anyways while bored and adding to the "album production thread" that was re bumped i figured id do some research and find this list of random Zeppelin song facts... some of em are really interesting!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taken from: http://www.led-zeppelin.org/reference/index.php?m=assorted3

There seems to be a wealth of unusual and interesting background noises, and in some cases foreground noises, in Led Zeppelin songs, some of which are so obvious you really wonder how you missed them when you listened to that song the first 5,000 times.

"Good Times Bad Times" - A suggsted explanation for the hollow sound that Bonzo makes during the opening of the song is that he might have been hitting a cymbal stand. The sound is a crisp, metallic type sound, which gives the impression that a hollow object of this nature is being struck. On the other hand, this could well be a cymbal.

"I Can't Quit You Baby" - Referring to the version on the first album, the odd metallic sound heard on "Good Times Bad Times" recurs through this song as well, which suggests it is probably a cymbal. It doesn't sound as hollow on this song.

"Whole Lotta Love" - Plant can be clearly heard to laugh just prior to the start of the song. The middle section features a lot of randon knob twisting in the studio from Page and Eddie Kramer.

"The Lemon Song" - A gong can be heard right at very beginning of the song.

"Moby Dick" - Careful listening to this song reveals a variety of noises which could range from Bonham moving about on the drum stool to various sqeaking noises, probably drum pedals. There is a particularly odd scraping noise at 1:58.

"Immigrant Song" - The odd buzzing sounds at the beginning of the song are tape noises coupled with the count in.

"Friends" - The fret buzz in parts of the song is due to the guitar being in a different tuning where the sixth string is quite loose, which combined with poor fingering at that fret causes the string to buzz on the fret. The tuning Jimmy is using is a C tuning, C, G, C, G, C, E, where the low E is tuned down 2 whole steps.

"Celebration Day" - The drone that carries over from "Friends" is there to compensate for the rhythm track which was accidentally erased during recording.

"Since I've Been Loving You" - the bass drum pedal has a clearly audible squeak about which Page recently said, 'It sounds louder every time I hear it!' Also, as Plant is singing the first line of the song, "Working from seven..." while he sings "from" a strange wheezing sound can be heard in the left channel.

"Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" - Some interesting extra instruments in this song are spoons and castanets, all played by John Bonham.

"Black Dog" - In the early stages of the song Bonzo can be heard clicking his drumsticks together, keeping time for the band.

"Stairway To Heaven" - Not really a weird sound, but the subject of some occasional discussion in the wind instrument being played at the start of the song. It is a recorder and it's being played by John Paul Jones. This instrument was incorrectly claimed to be a mellotron by _Q_ magazine in 1995.

"Misty Mountain Hop" - There is a mistake in this song in the line that begins "There you sit...", but the band apparently felt the rest of the take was too good to warrant discarding it.

"Four Sticks" - There is the sound of possibly either a cough or someone exhaling at the five second mark of the song. Then again in the left channel at the 41 and 43 second marks, a very similar sound, that sounds like an exhalation. This occurs again at 1:51. Someone, possibly Page, may have had a microphone a little too close to their face. The same sound, although fainter and closer to the middle in terms of the channels, occurs at the 30 and 37 second mark.

"When The Levee Breaks" - The titanic drum sound was created through experimentation by Page and Andy Johns with Page's penchant for distance miking. In perhaps the ultimate case of this, they had Bonzo set up his kit, a brand new one, in the stone stairwell at Headley Grange and experimented with microphones in various positions before placing one a few flights of stairs above him. A similar technique was used by producer Don Was and the Rolling Stones on the song "Moon Is Up", where drummer Charlie Watts is playing at the bottom of a stairwell. Right near the end of the song, where the sound is panning all over the place, the basic riff is also played backwards at one point. The idea of reversing riffs is not all that uncommon, Jimi Hendrix did it frequently.

"The Rain Song" - Bonham's squeaky drum pedal can be heard on this song. The string on this song are not real and are actually John Paul Jones on a mellotron, an early synthesizer.

"Over The Hills And Far Away" - Another track where Bonham's squeaky pedal can be heard, most clearly from about the three minute mark onwards.

"The Crunge" - Again, a sequaky drum pedal can be heard, especially at the start of the song where just the bass and the drums are being played. Page can be heard to depress the whammy bar, he used a Stratocaster on this song, at the end of each phrase.

"Dancing Days" - Another track on "Houses Of The Holy" where Bonham's squeaky drum pedal was somehow overlooked.

"No Quarter" - In a _Guitar_World_ interview Page revealed he lowered the track half a tone to make "the track sound so much thicker and more intense." Plant's voice is also slightly flanged, while Page uses a theremin to create the moaning of "the dogs of doom" that Plant sings about.

"The Ocean" - A phone can clearly be heard ringing at about the 1:38 point in the song. The sheet music that accompanies the box set has the word `ring' printed twice above the percussion tab of this song, so the inclusion of the phone sounds like it was intentional. As well as this, there is also the sound of the squeaky bass drum pedal that is present on "Since I've Been Loving" you, which is most apparent in the early parts of the song. And, yet more odd noises occur at 1:59-2:00 and 2:12-2:13 where it sounds like someone is making the `c' sound, as in the first letter of the word `cat'. Just as Bonham comes to "Two" in the introduction you can hear the first five notes far off in the distance, the result of some sort of production glitch.

"In My Time Of Dying" - Some members of the list with very keen hearing have in the past claimed to have heard the sound a television makes when it's turned on, about half way through this song. The sound they are hearing is produced by the high voltage power supply, or more specifically, the flyback transformer, of the tv which is somewhere around 32,000 volts for color televisions. Not so much a weird noise, as an anomaly, at the 5:44 mark it sounds like Bonham misses a beat. Them cymbals continue as they are but at that time it sounds a bit like a drumbeat is missing.

"Houses Of The Holy" - Recorded initially for the album of the same name, the squeaky drum pedal that can be heard on a lot of the tracks from that album can also be heard on this song. At the 3:41 mark a strange sound, resembling a bird call, can be heard clearly.

"Kashmir" - The orchestra riff that is first heard at the 1:19 point in the song can be heard earlier, in the left channel, very faintly, after each line of the first verse, such as at 0:25, 0:34 and 0:43. What this is, is the original track using the orchestra that was wiped off, but a slight "ghost" of that recording remains and is slightly audible.

"Night Flight" - A strange hissing sound can be heard for around half a second in the right channel before the organ starts.

"Ten Years Gone" - The squeaky bass drum pedal that was noted in "The Ocean" and "Since I've Been Loving You" occurs here as well, although slightly quieter than on both previous occasions. Also, at the 2:59 mark, and faintly in the left channel, a strange sound can be heard, which has been suggested as the sound of a guitar being plugged in. Another sound, sounding much more like a guitar being plugged in occurs between 5:44 and 5:47.

"Sick Again" - Bonzo can be heard to cough faintly at the end of the song.

"Achilles Last Stand" - Despite Page's assertions that there weren't any keyboards on "Presence" between 6:54 and 7:00, on the ascending runs with the staccato background guitar, you can hear what sounds very much like a keyboard. It could also be an extremely affected guitar sound though. Bonham is said to groan at one point during the song, but the time for that is unclear.

"For Your Life" - Plant makes two weird noises after the lines, 'Wanna find myself a crystal, Payin' through the nose.' The two noises sound very much like a snort, most likely a play on the line about crystals and paying through the nose, in reference to cocaine. This starts at around the 5:30 point in the song.

"In The Evening" - The third Zeppelin song on which Page uses the violin bow, the others being "How Many More Times" and "Dazed And Confused", the unusual noises in the guitar solo are caused by the springs of a fully depressed whammy bar.

"Fool In The Rain" - An odd noise can clearly be heard at the 1:05 point in the song. The sound occurs just after the line `And you said that you'd always be true'. The sound is most likely Plant, and may be some sort of play on that line. The sound itself is like a sort of `ppttt' noise made with the lips. A suggested explanation for this involves the meaning of the prior line of the song. When someone makes a hand shape like a gun with a clenched fist, extended fore-finger and raised thumb, the sound they most commonly make when they `fire' the gun is similar to this noise, a sort of `ppttt' noise made with the lips. Hence, it may be that Plant was firing off a shot at someone that had not been true to him. This is a rather tenuous theory however.

"Carouselambra" - The unusual sounds that have been described as `percolating' that occur in this song are most likely to be Bonham hitting some sort of drum as they follow a rhythmic pattern, which rules out other explanations such as perhaps a bong.

"Wearing And Tearing" - At the 0:19 mark a sound that is similar to a phone ringing, one of the newer ones, not the older ones that actually make a ringing noise, can be heard in the right channel.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:51:27 AM by landry » Logged

Metal_and_Kitties
Saskmetal Member

give me cheese

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 02:53:39 PM »

impressive
necrolobes
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 06:15:44 PM »

band is overrated
RNRPUMPKHIN!
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 04:10:29 AM »

Nah, The Eagles are overrated.  People just talk about Zeppelin too much.
necrolobes
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 04:49:44 AM »

at least the eagles can sing harmonies
Brennsy
Saskmetal Member

Wrathed

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 04:52:39 PM »

So can you, in the beatles rock band
Jordan
Shredder of Gnar.
Saskmetal Member

Katy Perry has awesome boobs.

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 06:13:51 PM »

band is overrated
Correct
Nah, The Eagles are overrated.
Incorrect

In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something.

that's like getting a hologram of hitler to host your bar mitzvah
necrolobes
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 07:12:56 PM »

How many douche bag kids wear Eagles Shirts ?
Evil Dr Mustache
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Saskmetal Member

Caught in the Scorpion Grip

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 07:14:27 PM »

all of them?
Can irrelevant/uninteresting thread be deleted now?

lol tattoos
I was all like "PEW PEW PEW SHOOP DA WOOP" and he was all like "aaaah my receding hairline!"
Woman I have 17 years experience of fornicating with the dead
necrolobes
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 07:44:54 PM »

none of them and none of them
Bower
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 08:36:09 PM »

at least the eagles can sing harmonies

"I've had a really bad day and I hate the fucking Eagles MANNNNNN!" haha

I love Led Zepplin by the way. I found physical graffiti at the library last week and listened to it over and over again.

I can understand people finding them overrated as they have some seriously cheesy weird glam rock elements but I don't care they are awesome all the same.
Bower
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 08:40:02 PM »

the only things on that list I really have noticed were the pedal squeaks on the bass drum.

That is cool about when the levee breaks. I always wondered how they made the drums sound so fucking awesome.
lack_of_sanity
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 12:22:52 AM »

man, they have some cheesy, simple, rock and roll songs... they're a rock band, par for the course.

But Zep are NOT over-rated. some of their songs are absolutely breathtaking compositions, full of layers, with innovative instrumentation, and always great production to boot. Can listen to em all day.

Evil Dr Mustache
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 08:15:09 AM »

YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS FULL OF LAYERS? SANDWICHES

lol tattoos
I was all like "PEW PEW PEW SHOOP DA WOOP" and he was all like "aaaah my receding hairline!"
lack_of_sanity
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 08:47:05 AM »

I also love sandwiches

ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Master Of The Universe
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 08:56:34 AM »

Thanks to this thread i have now decided whats for lunch

MalevolentGoat
Saskmetal Member

..and winter becomes

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 10:21:35 AM »

cockmeat sandwhich?

Fire burns in our name, sons of darkness, brotherhood of Satan
As lone wolves in the forest we shall walk together in shadows
Left hand path to Hell guide us far where wisdom lays
We seek truth and knowledge, grant us this and we shall honor!

HAIL THE CULT
ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Master Of The Universe
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 10:34:27 AM »

with a side of slutsauce

Hannah
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 01:35:20 AM »

YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS FULL OF LAYERS? SANDWICHES

bahahaha i love this

Lurker of Forum
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »

"You'll sink, not like a lead balloon, but even faster, like a lead zeppelin."

-Keith Moon to Jimmy Page, 1968
Evil Dr Mustache
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 10:38:35 AM »

"Tacos rule!"

-George W Bush, 2005

lol tattoos
Lurker of Forum
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »

"Tacos rule!"

-George W Bush, 2005

I will admit, yours is better.
Pages: [1]      Go Up
Print
Saskmetal.com  |  Music  |  UnMetal Chat (Moderators: Mr. Metalguy, saskmetalmod, swamples)  |  Topic: Led Zeppelin Fun Facts!
Jump to: