SiteMap An Army Of Marmots
  User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 06:55:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
292543 Posts in 5678 Topics by 2173 Members
Latest Member: dpressure
  Upcoming Shows
 photo d942789e-e877-4fa5-868d-15048ef6f06d_zps16c3f71d.jpg
  News
If you're having trouble logging in, clear any cookies related to saskmetal and try again!
Pages: [1]      Go Down
Print
Author Topic: An Army Of Marmots  (Read 6403 times)
GnomeBeard
You can find work and sort your life out anytime. The pub closes in five hours.
Saskmetal Member

« on: August 31, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »

"The Marmota Army"

"Gnomes playing chess and that painting by Edvard Munch called "Skrik". These two things combined are deliciously sinister don't you think?" - Denys Lemire

An Army Of Marmots is an Experimental/Avant-garde music project based out of Regina, SK. It was created by the imaginative mind of musician Denys Lemire in early 2010. He refers to the project as The Marmota Army, an imaginary group of Marmots from another world that write and perform the music, though in all reality the music is composed solely by Denys himself. Different elements are stirred together to create an uncanny musical art. An Army Of Marmots gathers inspiration from an array of musical styles and imagination of the strangest sort.

The first chapter, a debut album titled "When Big Grey Animals Sleep, What Do They Dream?" was composed and mixed from March to August 2010. There is no release date set as of yet. The music that makes up this debut album is unlike anything Denys has ever created. It cannot be placed in the Metal genre unlike the majority of Denys' past efforts, and there is no guitar found on this album whatsoever! Seems quite different than expected don't you think? But that was the initial idea!!!

Track listing for "When Big Grey Animals Sleep, What Do They Dream?

1. Chapter VI: Lapis Philisophorum (3:38)
2. Remembering The Honourable Mr. Badger (6:52)
3. Haunted By The Horsehead Nebula (7:12)
4. Fenris Wolf Is In The Attic (6:46)
5. Perdu : Lost (3:50)
6. When Big Grey Animals Sleep, What Do They Dream? (11:36)
Bonus Track:
7. The Antique Carnival's "Room Six One Three..." (13:43) - demo track recorded in May 2009.

What does the future hold?

With the completion of the first chapter (aside from the actual release), The Marmota Army is now looking onwards to the next effort with early writing sessions to begin in December 2010. The second release for The Marmota Army is not to be a continuation of the debut album, expect something far different and far greater, and with guitar! It is a bit early to begin making predictions but Denys expects the newest effort to be the greatest musical journey that he has ever dared to embark on.

Stay tuned for more news from The Marmota Army!

www.myspace.com/anarmyofmarmots
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:00:43 PM by Spud » Logged

Saskatchewan Beard & Moustache Club

https://www.facebook.com/saskbeardclub
necrolobes
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 04:06:45 PM »

Spudly my man you may have just lost your last marble and for that I am glad. Good work and good luck
GnomeBeard
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 11:28:06 PM »

haha, why didn't I see this...  Thank you Harley for being so accepting of my recent loss of sanity.

I don't think outside of the box, cause really there was no box to begin with.

necrolobes
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 11:48:23 PM »

i am able to be accepting as i can understand where you come from . marble ň marble
GnomeBeard
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 11:54:03 AM »

So I've updated the bio once again, but this time I did not bother creating another thread.  This thread is here to stay.

I am so stoked to write the 2nd chapter for An Army Of Marmots.  The Marmota Army is so fucking anxious I can barely keep these critters under control!  Meanwhile I still have yet to release the debut album.  Unfortunately things take time, but it's well worth it when the music turns out just how you want it.

So, when big grey animals sleep, what do they dream?  I ask myself this same question over and over, and each time result in a different answer...  It keeps me occupied through long intervals of mind-numbing consciousness.  grin

Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 12:05:07 PM by Spud|TheBeefChop|Fat » Logged

GnomeBeard
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 03:47:28 PM »

Due to great demands from The Marmota Army the song "Fenris Wolf Is In The Attic" is online now.

The Marmota Army is now also on Crapbook!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/An-Army-Of-Marmots/108532429210263
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:52:07 PM by Spud|TheBeefChop|Fat » Logged

GnomeBeard
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 09:51:21 AM »

CD release update for "When Big Grey Animals Sleep, What Do They Dream?"

I know some of you will be very happy to hear this update from The Marmota Army so here we go!  I'm going to be sorting out my finances for the debut release in the next month or so.  I will likely be getting a quantity of 100 in standard jewel case format and I am aiming for a release in January 2011, but it could be a bit sooner, could be a bit later.

"When Big Grey Animals Sleep, What Do They Dream?" was created throughout March to August 2010.  I had such an enjoyable time bringing this album to life.  It truly expresses a good chunk of my diverse imagination.  I have so many great ideas for a second album which I hope to start brewing in the early months of 2011.

track list:

Thank you all for your support!

http://www.myspace.com/anarmyofmarmots

ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Master Of The Universe
Saskmetal Member

Landry, The Shwag Daggler

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 11:00:12 AM »

If its a limited 100 release do something CRAZY!!

number em... get the ol' lady to paint something.... include a vial of Marmot semen so you too can create your own army of marmots... or some more sexy spud in the forest pictures hand signed with a lipstick kiss on em... o0o0o0o wow

anyways i want a copy!!!@!!@!

G-off
Revenge is a Vulture deceivers flesh ripped off his wretched bones
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 12:02:07 PM »

i call 2!!

and yeah. do something cool. they HAVE to be numbered as well. I wanna feell special.

GnomeBeard
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 12:47:21 PM »

Haha Dafe!  Sounds like a pretty sweet limited edition.

Considering there are really no lyrics to worry about I'll have enough space to come up with some very interesting art to compliment the music.  I'm sure I will get my g/f to help out with that.  I decided to go with just 100 as I'm not sure how sales will go.  I would be happy to number them and perhaps see what other goodies I can add to it.  If through promoting real well I can get a fair chunk of the cd's sold I might look at getting more done but that's not really a concern right now.  I will want to insure that all of you who have supported An Army Of Marmots from day 1 will get a copy or two of the album.

Stoked! grin

Hannah
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 12:56:53 PM »

Great news Smiley

GnomeBeard
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 08:54:51 AM »

Glad your excited Hash!

I have some just as exciting news that I very much would like to announce but will not at this time.  It's regarding the second writing sessions that I plan to begin at the start of December or shortly after.  Anyone who has enjoyed any or all of my musical ideas up to this point will be happy to find out what the next creation will be for An Army Of Marmots.  I hope for it to be my very best effort.  There will certaily be not lack of the broad imagination that exists in "When Big Grey Animals Sleep, What Do They Dream?", however do not expect it to be much similar to the debut music that you've heard.  The Marmota Army is holding on to what it currently is but plans to drag all of that into a whole different and rather exciting direction.

I will let you know more about these plans after I get the debut artwork finished and settle on a release date or definite release time frame for the debut album.

Still stoked!   grin

ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Master Of The Universe
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 09:31:37 AM »

Your stoked!? im sure we out stoke you as the consumers!! Iv been looking forward to this release since like June!!

GnomeBeard
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 11:18:53 PM »

As you can see below I have updated the bio on the first post on this thread, it's taken straight from the myspace (which has a new look!).  There is some cool additional info so give it a read!!!

"The Marmota Army"

"Gnomes playing chess and that painting by Edvard Munch called "Skrik". These two things combined are deliciously sinister don't you think?" - Denys Lemire

An Army Of Marmots is an Experimental/Avant-garde music project based out of Regina, SK. It was created by the imaginative mind of musician Denys Lemire in early 2010. He refers to the project as The Marmota Army, an imaginary group of Marmots from another world that write and perform the music, though in all reality the music is composed solely by Denys himself. Different elements are stirred together to create an uncanny musical art. An Army Of Marmots gathers inspiration from an array of musical styles and imagination of the strangest sort.

The first chapter, a debut album titled "When Big Grey Animals Sleep, What Do They Dream?" was composed and mixed from March to August 2010. There is no release date set as of yet. The music that makes up this debut album is unlike anything Denys has ever created. It cannot be placed in the Metal genre unlike the majority of Denys' past efforts, and there is no guitar found on this album whatsoever! Seems quite different than expected don't you think? But that was the initial idea!!!

Track listing for "When Big Grey Animals Sleep, What Do They Dream?

Bonus Track:
7. The Antique Carnival's "Room Six One Three..." (13:43) - demo track recorded in May 2009.

What does the future hold?

With the completion of the first chapter (aside from the actual release), The Marmota Army is now looking onwards to the next effort with early writing sessions to begin in December 2010. The second release for The Marmota Army is not to be a continuation of the debut album, expect something far different and far greater, and with guitar! It is a bit early to begin making predictions but Denys expects the newest effort to be the greatest musical journey that he has ever dared to embark on.

Stay tuned for more news from The Marmota Army!

One more thing I will share with you people, once the new material starts coming together, it's save to say that this thread can be moved into the Saskatchewan Metal Band's area

grin
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:22:56 PM by Spud » Logged

necrolobes
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 12:42:37 AM »

would you like it moved now sir spudly  ?
GnomeBeard
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 12:51:21 AM »

Whenever you'd like to kind sir.

necrolobes
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 12:53:31 AM »

and we are magically whisked away ..... to delaware
ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Master Of The Universe
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 11:05:55 AM »

Im in Delaware....yeahhhh ...Delaware

GnomeBeard
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 09:26:01 AM »

Marmota Army Update...

So...  Currently the plans for completion and final product creation for my musical projects have been put on another long hold due to big plans for myself in May.  My girlfriend and I are saving up for a once in a lifetime trip to Iceland & Norway.  This means working overtime and trying to earn extra money any way possible, all while spending less and saving the most we have ever tried to save in a 4 month period.  It's rather difficult...

However, I might be willing to go ahead with my plans for the An Army Of Marmots debut limited quantity cd release for "When Big Grey Animals Sleep, What Do They Dream?".  My best skill is creating music, so I see this as an oppurtunity I can use to support this once in a lifetime cause.  Plus it would mean I can finally release some of my solo music sooner then I hoped!  The album is complete, I just need to get the pro copies made.

I will be going with standard jewel case with likely just a 2 panel booklet sleeve.  Unfortunately due to the short time I have there will not be a bunch of special and unique art throughout the booklet, but I'll try my best to make it interesting visually.  I will be getting a limited quantity of 50 or 100 cd's made up and they will be going on sale shortly after I recieve the finished product.  With the "Antique Carnival" bonus track the album is made up of 7 tracks in total that equal a little over 53 minutes of experimental musical bliss.

Bonus Track:

Finally, I have yet to determine the price for the album and I probably will not decide that until I have the final product in hand.  I'm still finalizing how much it is going to cost me to get these produced.  Normally I wouldn't be concerned about the sale price as I do not normally create my music for profit.  However I am having to dip into my current trip savings fund to get these made so I imagine they will probably be around $15.00 to $20.00, happily hand delivered in Regina, S'toon & PA we'll work something out.

I hope some of your are excited.  I will provide updates on this progress.  My hopes are to get the final product in no more than a months time.

Thank you everyone for your support!

Marmot out.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:47:31 PM by Hrymr » Logged

lack_of_sanity
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 06:09:34 PM »

I will give you $15 next time I see you, to purchase this release in advance.

G-off
Revenge is a Vulture deceivers flesh ripped off his wretched bones
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 01:58:21 AM »

I second that

GnomeBeard
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »

Before I take any pre-order money I just want to insure that the ball is rolling.  The music has been completed for a while, I still just need to finalize what is all going in the booklet.  This part of the process often can be the reason for delays so I hope that I only need to submit the art once.  I hope to get the order started in the next 2 weeks.

*** The cd will be $15.00 and the current plan is a limited 100 copy release.

*** If anyone wants to insure a copy for themselves feel free to message me on Saskmetal, Facebook, Myspace or else give me a call/text if you know my number.  I will compile a list to insure there is a copy set aside for you when the product arrives.  You can pay me in advance if you like but I want to insure the ball is rolling before taking any pre-payment.

*** Finally if anyone wants to reserve more than 1 copy (say for a friend) I won't express any limit at this time but due to the low quantity of copies being made I may refuse a large pre-order request.  However, I may make a last minute decision to increase the number of copies being released but there are many factors that sway that decision and this possibility is looks quite unlikely.

I will keep everyone updated on this process, cheers!   grin

Evil Dr Mustache
(╯░□░)╯︵ ┻━┻
Saskmetal Member

Caught in the Scorpion Grip

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 12:13:11 PM »

I too would like to procure one when it's available...the question is, when will I be in Regina again to get it...when do you anticipate the record to drop?

lol tattoos
I was all like "PEW PEW PEW SHOOP DA WOOP" and he was all like "aaaah my receding hairline!"
Woman I have 17 years experience of fornicating with the dead
GnomeBeard
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 12:34:09 PM »

I hope to have product in hand by mid to late February, but thats only if things run as smooth as I'd like them to.

Anyone here on SaskMetal who would like to be on the pre-order list just send me a pm with your contact details.  I don't know everyone on here personally so a name and email address would be much appreciated.

The Prairie Prophet
I'm not a fan of all of it, but a lot of it
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 02:39:09 PM »

i would hope that you know to put aside a copy for me to purchase, of any project you do.  i would also imagine our folks would buy one.

When god gives you lemons you FIND A NEW GOD!!!
Hannah
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »

I'd like a copy! 2908426 whenever you're in saskatoon, looking forward to it! Cheesy

GnomeBeard
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 04:16:56 PM »

I will insure you get a copy Hash, and # is saved!

Not sure when I'll be up in S'toon next, and I'm still sorting out the artwork for this release, but either way I'll have copies reserved for my Northern friends.

GnomeBeard
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 05:55:12 PM »

The Marmota Army is getting sick of Myspace so they've found a new place to burrow in for a long hibernation...

anarmyofmarmots.ban dcamp.com

Though it is not officially released you can now listen to the album "When Big Grey Animals Sleep, What Do They Dream?" in its entirety on the bandcamp page.

Through the months of March to August in 2010 a strange experiment had gone terribly right.  A lot of things influenced this album from the Wind in the Willows to Edvard Munch's "Skrik", from H.P. Lovecraft's entire works to the gnome v.s. the vole in chess, from Alpha Bo÷tis to the Evil Dead...  It was all somewhere, very near, beneath some trees, just over there.

The Marmota Army will now remain dormant, I hope you enjoy this small taste of haunting mental illness that I'm happy to share with all of you.

Potato out.

Pages: [1]      Go Up
Print
Saskmetal.com  |  Music  |  UnMetal Chat (Moderators: Mr. Metalguy, saskmetalmod, swamples)  |  Topic: An Army Of Marmots
Jump to: