SiteMap Im a whore for Devin Townsend The Official Thread
  User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 06:18:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
292543 Posts in 5678 Topics by 2173 Members
Latest Member: dpressure
  Upcoming Shows
 photo d942789e-e877-4fa5-868d-15048ef6f06d_zps16c3f71d.jpg
  News
If you're having trouble logging in, clear any cookies related to saskmetal and try again!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5      Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Im a whore for Devin Townsend The Official Thread  (Read 39772 times)
The Prairie Prophet
I'm not a fan of all of it, but a lot of it
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2009, 04:53:25 PM »

Well, it depends on what you like of his.  Personally I think Addicted and Ki are equally as strong, and it's not a matter of which is better but rather which you prefer.  As most people on saskmetal predominately favour extreme metal I have no doubt that the next one will be favoured by saskmetal in general.  I have a feeling that I will still like Addicted best.  I stand to be corrected though.

When god gives you lemons you FIND A NEW GOD!!!
­­Berner
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2009, 07:52:17 PM »

Supercrush! is amazing. Best chorus ever.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 01:15:22 PM by ­­Bornor » Logged
Cryptopchick
Great Superior Forum Master

« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2009, 03:07:56 PM »

Oh I totally agree...fuck that song invigorates me every time. Have you watched him recording and working on it? True artist at work there.

Riding the Road of Excess, Straight to the Land of Sin....
Everything I say is awesome
I need a man to fix it.
Club can't even handle me right now

I've seen Anathema <3
The Prairie Prophet
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2009, 01:05:36 PM »

Agreed on all fronts.  Song is brilliant.

MrMoustache
Agorapocalypse
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2009, 05:39:36 PM »

Bend It Like Bender!

http://www.revolvermag.com/content/revolver-tv-new-devin-townsend-project-video-%E2%80%9Cbend-it-bender%E2%80%9D

The Prairie Prophet
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2009, 11:23:55 PM »

hrmm... i'll stick with the audio on this one.

necrolobes
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2010, 03:25:38 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nadhCfFiUA
short clip of a DTP rehearsaL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaCefwkz4HY&feature=channel
Bend It Like Bender!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhOBO7Lx1aE&feature=channel
"Took a break tonight and played some guitar for fun...recorded a bit and added some ambience. Not the greatest, but maybe you'll dig. "
Autumnsiren
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2010, 09:28:45 PM »

I love Devin Townsend...some of his stuff reminds me of the soundtrack to Solaris...just haunting and ethereal.
Whatever the fuck I call myself these days
¯\(°_o)/¯
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2010, 09:41:30 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTLSl9q-UmY&feature=player_embedded
Supercrush live
necrolobes
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2010, 03:33:14 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYBDlD6bp_4&feature=player_embedded

"The first tour I'm doing to get my sea legs back is with BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME, who I met on Ozzfest and are a FANTASTIC band, CYNIC, who I have been a fan of for many, many years and are masters, and SCALE THE SUMMIT, a really cool new instrumental band. I am playing second, and it's a relatively short set, but for my first tour back it's a total honor. It will be a different style of performance for me, as there is no 'mask.' However, this incarnation is very different from the DTB (DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND); this is definitely heavier...somewhere between SYL and DTB. And in truth, that's pretty much where I feel I was meant to be all along.

"I'm honored to be invited on such a GREAT bill for the first tour back."

"Addicted", the second in a series of albums from Townsend to be made available under THE DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT moniker, sold 3,700 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 168 on The Billboard 200 chart. It also landed at position No. 2 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200.

In a recent interview with AOL's Noisecreep, Townsend stated about the musical direction of "Addicted", "Every time I put something out, folks are like, 'Oh well, that's the direction you're going in,' or, like, 'That's your identity now.' I'm just trying shit out. I've always been into easy music. When I was 15, the record for me was 'Hysteria' by DEF LEPPARD. I loved it, dude. But we go through our adult life, and it becomes a little less en vogue to state your appreciation for pop music. But at the same time, this isn't the last record I'm going to ever do. I wanted to do a record like this, and during the process of this whole DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT thing, and putting together all these songs, there was a record full of that shit."
Cryptopchick

« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2010, 06:32:53 PM »

But we go through our adult life, and it becomes a little less en vogue to state your appreciation for pop music.

It's so true...not pop music per-say, but just fuckin' music in general. There is so much amazing stuff out there that is far FAR from heavy in anyway and it's so powerful and incredible. So much to be explored, I don't understand boxing yourself into only one genre. Become a MUSIC lover. So much to appreciate.

I need a man to fix it.

I've seen Anathema <3
­­Berner
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2010, 01:15:55 PM »

I don't understand boxing yourself into only one genre. Become a MUSIC lover. So much to appreciate.

That's seems to be the problem with the majority of metal fans in general. They get so caught up in what they listen to that anything that isn't within their small niche, sometimes even other metal, becomes fodder for unwarranted criticism and ridicule as well as the person who listens to it.
Jötunn
Declairing eternal lust and dedication to those enthroned in hell!
Saskmetal Member

!nataS evA

« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2010, 08:13:12 AM »

That's seems to be the problem

S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S    S S  S  S S  S S  S S  S  S S  S S  E
|-15p12-------------12-15p12-------------12-15p12-|-12p9------------9-12p9------------9-12-|
|-------14-------14----------14-------14------------------|------11------11--------11------11---------|
|----------15p12----------------15p12--------------------|---------12-9--------------12-9-------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|

All I saw were arpeggios!

The blood which taint my face - is the evidence of our inhumanity! Ligaments of guts around the canon,the proof of our dedication, our father purification process!!!!!

DOOM TILL DOOMZDAY!

Does your metal know what metal really means?
­­Berner
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2010, 08:41:26 AM »

I wonder why? Perhaps you should see a shrink or something.
Cryptopchick

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2010, 12:13:23 PM »

That's seems to be the problem with the majority of metal fans in general. They get so caught up in what they listen to that anything that isn't within their small niche, sometimes even other metal, becomes fodder for unwarranted criticism and ridicule as well as the person who listens to it.

Totally true, and it drives me up the wall. I've been razzed for shit on my Ipod tons, if they'd actually LISTEN to it instead of putting up their airtight "nothing gets in and nothing gets out unless it's hard as fuck" attitudes, I know they'd be into a good lot of it. I like to feel the music I'm listening to. I still love the heavy shit, I'm just saying there's so much more to be explored in completely different realms.

I need a man to fix it.

I've seen Anathema <3
Jötunn
Saskmetal Member

!nataS evA

« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2010, 02:25:35 PM »

I'm just saying there's so much more to be explored in completely different realms.

Mmmhmm!

For example, I love atmospheric ambient / minimal beat music... and at times, listen to it more than metal.... it's relaxing, and some artists are fucking good at what they do.

Or Cultural type music... anything that just feels good,with good energy.

The blood which taint my face - is the evidence of our inhumanity! Ligaments of guts around the canon,the proof of our dedication, our father purification process!!!!!

DOOM TILL DOOMZDAY!

The Prairie Prophet
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2010, 02:29:32 PM »

Butterfingers is gives me energy

Jötunn
Saskmetal Member

!nataS evA

« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »

mmmm Butterfinger.

Also, for the ambient, which never goes un-listened before and  while I am asleep.

I rely on

www.somafm.com
www.stillstream.com
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 03:18:28 PM by GrimTroll » Logged

DOOM TILL DOOMZDAY!

grim and nordic
Saskmetal Member

the afterlife means we reign as ghosts

« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »

did you know the fastest car can break the speed limit

you think thats fast? watch this:

om nom nom
Jötunn
Saskmetal Member

!nataS evA

« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2010, 04:29:25 PM »

Were there not a line... er... series of Butterfinger commercials with the simpsons... and some catchy line, or something?

DOOM TILL DOOMZDAY!

HxT
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2010, 04:38:53 PM »

no body better lay a finger on my butterfinger?
Jötunn
Saskmetal Member

!nataS evA

« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2010, 08:15:24 PM »

Somethin' like that!

YES!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
+1

DOOM TILL DOOMZDAY!

ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Master Of The Universe
Saskmetal Member

Landry, The Shwag Daggler

« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2010, 10:54:57 AM »

Listened to "City" last night for the first time in awhile.... Great album!

­­Berner
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2010, 11:20:15 AM »

City is a great album but I still think SYL was the best of the Strapping Young Lad discography.
The Prairie Prophet
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2010, 11:39:36 AM »

I always hear people seeming to find that the weakest of the Strapping discography, but I agree with you completely.

Toddureself
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2010, 11:41:44 AM »

Interesting. Chicken Feather is my least favourite SYL disc. I'd say City>Alien>The New Black=Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing>Chicken Feather out of their major releases.

that guy just wouldn't give me a wet vagina.
­­Berner
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2010, 11:49:29 AM »

To me, it's probably his most honest effort at a heavy album.
¯\(°_o)/¯
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2010, 02:47:20 PM »

Yeah, that's my fav too, closely followed by Alien and City. There are only a few songs on The New Black that I can stand, and I can't even listen to HAARHT because that bass drum is so terrible. Might as well call it a treble drum because that's all it is.
MrMoustache
Agorapocalypse
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2010, 05:05:15 PM »

Alien will always be my favourite. That was the album that got me into SYL (heard the preview of "Shitstorm", and I was sold). SYL and City are a tie for me, both are awesome in different ways (although I wish the snare drum was more audible on SYL). HAARHT only has 2 good songs on it, but they're 2 awesome songs. The New Black is my least favourite, I only like a couple songs, and they weren't that awesome either. In fact, the 2 best songs from The New Black weren't even on it: "The Long Pig" and "C:Enter:###".

¯\(°_o)/¯
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2010, 12:50:56 AM »

Dev @ NAMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2G26XECmPQ

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyRrNQHCmUA
necrolobes
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2010, 03:28:29 PM »

Canadian musician/producer Devin Townsend (STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, STEVE VAI, LAMB OF GOD, DARKEST HOUR, GWAR) has just completed an extremely successful North American tour with genre visionaries BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME, CYNIC and SCALE THE SUMMIT. This was Townsend's first trek in a number of years and the first in support of his new, mind-blowing offering, "Addicted", which was met with worldwide critical praise and scored very impressive first-week numbers, debuting at #168 on The Billboard 200 chart and #2 on the Heatseakers chart.

Townsend checks in with the following update in regards to the success of the tour and his plans for the remainder of the year:

"Tour one in the can!

"Man, what a heck of an experience.

"I had gone back into touring with a certain amount of trepidation. 'Will I flake? Can I do this without the 'persona?' Is this life going to wipe me out?' But as is with most things, you never know until you're 'in it.'

"After a week of tumultuous shows (click tracks through front of house, monitor problems, broken guitars, etc.) I began to realize that really NOTHING has changed since Ozzfest for me. I'm still the same cheeseball performer, but now my voice is clear and I have the realization that I am honored to do this, and I really missed it.

"I love playing for people, and to finally represent all the emotions that go into my work, as opposed to just one or two, is a dream come true and one that I don't take lightly.

"The audiences were great, supportive and forgiving of the initial technical glitches.

"The opportunity to connect with folks who have supported me for so long is an incredibly rewarding experience.

"The tour itself was magnificent with many shows that were sold out or close to it, and for my 'reintroduction' to the touring life, I could not have asked for better people to share the experience with.

"I recorded a ton of the shows and I am mixing the best one right now for release later this month. It will be our New York show, as well as my upcoming acoustic show in Redmond, Washington (February 27, and it's a free show, folks!). These two events will be on a new disk out next month for cheap as a testament to what I'm doing now and the seriousness of where it wants to go (the moon!!!).

"Now, we head to Australia for our first headline run. 'Ocean Machine', 'Infinity', 'Physicist', 'Ki', 'Addicted', 'AE', 'Synchestra', 'Ziltoid'. BRING IT! Then, we go to Europe for a mess of high-profile festivals, interspersed with headline shows and a special, one-off world exclusive of the 'Ziltoid' album in its entirety at the Tuska festival in Finland. BRING IT!

"I am also in talks with some sick musicians not only for the next album, 'Deconstruction', but also some very interesting side projects. It's very flattering. I hope it works out, but even if not, it will be great for the 'hang factor.'

"Next, we are in talks for a serious headlining tour through America in October. It's the same idea as Australia, a lengthy set pulling out all the stops.

"America is wonderful, and the amount of support extended to me on this last run is again, incredibly flattering.

"I viewed the BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME tour as almost an 'advertisement' for the future tours, and I've been very fortunate to have been picked up by The Agency Group throughout North America, and I can't wait to give you folks a REAL show!

"'Deconstruction' and 'Ghost' are basically finished, and the musicians are for the most part lined up, but I'm one thing at a time and I'm currently focusing on making the live shows as good as they can be, but when the October tour is done, I'm putting three months aside for these albums...and hopefully they will be released simultaneously next May.

"'Deconstruction' is truly a 'tour-de-force' and 'Ghost' is the perfect complement, but until I get time they are archived in notes and awaiting the moment.

"I will be doing various acoustic shows/[question-and-answer] sessions over the next year as well and I'm also working on a big hometown Vancouver show.

"I love where I live, and I want it to be special.

"Peavey released my signature seven-string V [guitar] at NAMM, and that company is awesome for me. I can't thank them enough. Their guitars are among the best ones I've used in my career, and they have some serious surprises in store for us all. Check out my PXD 'Vicious V' on tour. I love it.

"Anyways, that's where I'm at.

"The New York show goes to mastering tonight and I can't wait for you to hear it.

"After three years off, I realize how totally fortunate I am to have the opportunity to play for you, and I don't take that lightly.

"See you soon!

"Be well, folks. Strive to be happy...and always remember: 'Worse shit has happened to better people!"
The Prairie Prophet
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2010, 03:33:15 PM »

and a special, one-off world exclusive of the 'Ziltoid' album in its entirety at the Tuska festival in Finland.

Fuck would this ever be deadly.

This excites me to all hell.  I hope one of those acoustic dealies happens within reasonable distance.  I'd be all over it.  Can't wait for any opportunity to see him nearby.

necrolobes
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2010, 03:35:02 PM »

id be down for a vancouver trip atleast .
¯\(°_o)/¯
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2010, 12:20:35 PM »

Ziltoid's back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfsKI6v_Xr4&feature=digest
The Prairie Prophet
Saskmetal Member

« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2010, 01:08:19 AM »

hilarious.  that got me looking at some other vids of his on youtube, a few i hadn't seen yet, like "Protool Skool Supercrush!!", my god the detail that goes into his recordings just reaffirms my respect for his writing capabilities.  I mean there's just sooo much stuff that goes into his writing, it's incredible.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5      Go Up
Print
Saskmetal.com  |  Music  |  Metal Chat (Moderators: Cryptopchick, Mr. Metalguy, saskmetalmod, swamples)  |  Topic: Im a whore for Devin Townsend The Official Thread
Jump to: